Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member from Gettysburg, PA

Hi All -

I'm a new member to the AMCA forum (not the AMCA - I've been a member for a while) and I don't usually join too many forums but have always like the quality of the magazine and the members I've meet at meets over the past 20 years or so.

I'm presently without an antique motorcycle but I'm actively looking for another Indian Chief - I'll post pics later of my 1948 Chief I'd restored in the late 90's, but long ago sold, for all to see. Thanks for having me on board with you all.

Green Indian
    AMCA # 3233

Welcome aboard...

Love Gettysburg. One of my favorite places to visit. Lived in Frederick, MD for a while and used to drive up summer evenings and just wander the battlefield. Lots of history there.

Definitely post some pix! I am working on a '38 Chief now. My first chief after a life on HD's.

It's a great forum. Outstanding people and a ton of knowledge here. Very genial group.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Welcome Green Indian! I, too am just a handful of miles from Frederick, Md. and love the riding around your area! Dale

Comment

Thanks everyone for the nice thoughts and yes living in Gettysburg is a great experience as well as great motorcycling with all of the quite country roads that lead in and out of town.

Here's a link to some photobucket pics of my 48 Chief long since sold.

http://s1279.photobucket.com/user/DKR977/slideshow/
        AMCA # 3233

Comment

Nice machine... I can see why you want another. Love the color you chose!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Sirhr,
            Thanks. That color, Prairie Green, was an amazing color. When I started the restoration it was that ugly rattle can blue but when I took the tanks and fenders off the bike I was happy to learn that only the outside surfaces had been painted and that I had great original paint to match up and work from. From what I know of '48 Indian colors the Prairie Green was offered later in the model year and my bike was some where around # 5000 - 5500 (I can't remember the exact #) or so off the line. About 15 years ago I was at Oley and there was an original paint 48 Chief that was for sale and it was only 3 numbers off from mine by VIN so they must have been painting them in batches near the end of the model year production. I love that color. It varies in intensity and shade in the light and is damn hard to capture on film or with a digital camera as well.

I'm looking to buy a '41 Chief (I love the look of the leaf spring front end) and will paint that bike Jade Green if it's another restoration candidate.
            AMCA # 3233

Comment

Wow, that was a really nice job on your '48! Looks like you "un-bobbed" the front fender, too. I have a friend doing a 1941 right now, it took a bit of time for him to find it but I agree those leaf sprung skirted Chiefs are sure nice. Good luck and welcome!
              Last edited by pisten-bully; 04-03-2014, 08:34 AM.
              Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
                Wow, that was a really nice job on your '48! Looks like you "un-bobbed" the front fender, too. I have a friend doing a 1941 right now, it took a bit of time for him to find it but I agree those leaf sprung skirted Chiefs are sure nice. Good luck and welcome!
                Thanks, Larry Ramos in Los Angeles "unbobbed" the front fender for me. I'd heard he did great sheet metal work and he did not disappoint. Too bad I no longer have his contact information.
                AMCA # 3233

Comment

When I bought my Chief... I really wanted the leaf sprung front end. And skirted fenders. The best of all Indian Worlds. But the '38 was what followed me home and while I have really thought hard about putting skirted fenders on it... just would not be right. Not that the '38 is not drop dead gorgeous when done right. Indians, however, are so associated with skirted fenders that it just defines the brand.

My compromise is that the '38 is getting done in deep red. If I am only going to have one Indian, I figure it has to be red.

I did some searching online for a '41. No joy. But I'll keep my ear to the ground. (actually, that's funny right there... in a Tonto sort of way).

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Sirhr:

Thanks for the help with looking for a Chief for me. I did see one in upstate NY this past weekend. Very nice guy but we are too far apart on price so I must continue my quest on the web or by word of mouth, thanks for any leads.
                    AMCA # 3233

Comment

PM sent on a good bike... drop me a note. I sent you my e-mail as I can send pictures and info.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Working...
                      X