Need rubber plug for 1966 CA95 Honda "Touring Benly"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need rubber plug for 1966 CA95 Honda "Touring Benly"

Because I do not have a good parts book for this little bike, I can only presume that the rectangular rubber plug on the left side where the engine case cover abuts the back cast aluminum cover is there to allow access for clutch inspection or adjustment. I have lost one plug already and am down to my last one. I figure now is the time to worry about getting a backup plug -- not when I desperately need one. I have looked for this plug for years and have tried to have it duplicated, all with no success.

My questions are:
    1. Where can I get a decent parts book for this bike?
    2. What is the parts number for this plug and what is its purpose?
    3. Where can I get a replacement (or 2)?
    4. Who repops rubber items such as this plug?
    George Tinkham
    Springfield, IL
    www.virmc.com
    AMCA # 1494
    1941 Indian 841
    1948 Indian Chief
    1956 H-D KHK
    1960 CH
    1964 BMW R69S
    1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
    1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Pictures?

There is a company we turn to for oddball rubber items called Steele Rubber Products. They have every possible extrusion and rubber shape. Need a front hinged windshield gasket for a 1936 Bentley with Freestone and Webb coachwork? They have the shape... it's uncanny. I "think" they buy up every old extrusion die they can get and simply keep supplies of every rubber extrusion shape ever made. Wonderful company. I don't recall whether they have rectangular plugs but they have page after page of plugs and similar oddball items. Their online catalog is at http://www.steelerubber.com

We have to make funny little rubber plugs and bushings, etc. all the time at the shop. For small items, you can make molds and cast yourself... there are some kits available which would work great for simple items like plugs. quick search turned up this site. Never used them before, but they seem to have all the right 'stuff' for doing small items. http://www.smooth-on.com/Getting-Sta...217/index.html

For one-off's, we sometimes machine rubber with a lathe or mill. Some is hard enough to do with a sharp tool at high speed. Others will machine very well if frozen. We have done some parts by freezing the rubber in dry ice. Then make a cut... then re-freeze and recut. Repeat several times. As rubber 'thaws' really fast, you have to work quick. A collet is a must if turning.

There is a neat little thread about machining frozen rubber here http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/foru...s.asp?th=84523

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Sirhr,

Great post.

George,

Check you pm. I think I have what you need in regards to the parts book.
      AMCA #10930

Comment

George... although I like paper books that you can actually hold in your hand this can come in handy when those are not available. I have a PDF parts book AND the service manual for the CA95 that I can email you. Just contact me through the PM with your email address. When I restored my '65 Honda CB 160 I bought several parts from Ohiocycle.com But I believe the only thing you have to do is you have to have the part number. Plus, you have to call him on the phone and he will tell you whether he still has it in stock. Every part I needed, he DID have, so he was good to me. IF you already have everything you need, then good luck! You may also want to post over at the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Owners Group. That is all they talk about over there. Here is a link for that too:

http://vjmog.com/index.php
        Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Thank you for your suggestions and offers of help. I gladly accept your offers to send digitized manuals to me. I commissioned a local craftsman to duplicate the rubber plug because he was certain he could make "anything." He created a mold and poured a rubber compound into it. The result was too soft to stay in the hole. He said he was unable to find the correct rubber. Harrumph - so much for his bragging!

I had checked Steele Rubber's product catalogue, but had not considered asking them to custom make a part.

I cannot thank you enough. This is a major reason I became a AMCA member -- and use this forum.
          George Tinkham
          Springfield, IL
          www.virmc.com
          AMCA # 1494
          1941 Indian 841
          1948 Indian Chief
          1956 H-D KHK
          1960 CH
          1964 BMW R69S
          1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

I just ordered what may be the correct rubber plug from an outfit in Thailand. I also ordered a new headlight from them. From what I can tell, the name of the seller is "BKK Classic Bike Shop." Has anyone dealt with them?

BTW, I am taking my CA95 to Speed Week at the Bonneville Salt Flats next month. I am doing my high speed runs on a Harley, but the Honda will be there to get me around. I just hope I can clean it thoroughly afterwards to minimize salt corrosion. Any thoughts on how I can protect it?
            George Tinkham
            Springfield, IL
            www.virmc.com
            AMCA # 1494
            1941 Indian 841
            1948 Indian Chief
            1956 H-D KHK
            1960 CH
            1964 BMW R69S
            1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Working...
            X