Need help with the fair market values of a couple shovelheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with the fair market values of a couple shovelheads

My father who will turn 79 in a couple months has decided he wants to give one of his bikes to me and the other one to my brother. I am going home this weekend to pick one of them up and would like some input regarding the fair market values of both so I can work out a fair deal with my brother. The first one is a 1971 FLH with 12K miles. All original dresser, never been touched. Dad was the second owner. It is white with red and blue trim. The second one is a 1979 FXEF with 26K miles. All original, black paint. Both have always been stored inside and both have not been ridden for at least 10 years. I printed off the NADA price sheets and would rate both of them as excellent, the NADA values seem high to me at $14.8K and $17K. For my purposes, I'm thinking the 1971 FLH is worth $3,000-$4,000 more than the 1979 FXEF. I would appreciate any insight you shovelhead guys could offer. Thanks

Shane

Pictures pleeze..JL

Comment

harley 71 mom.jpg
      harley.jpg

Comment

I think you are pretty close on the price disparity. The FLH is a real beauty. Nothing against the FX, but there are lots of them out there for sale. The NADA prices are wacko, I'd love to know how they came up with those numbers.
        Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

I'm thinking maybe 6000 for the FXEF, and 11000 for the FLH.
          VPH-D

Comment

Ratty FX bring close to 6,I say 7,500 -9,500and 11 for FLH. both worth more than an equal EVO
            I threw together an Ironhead sporty chop ,Paughco frame that got 9,500 on ebay

Comment

FxeF, not much, however that 71FLH if that is the org paint is a very nice and desirable bike, I would say 10 to 11.5. I also agree that NADA is way off and wonder where they pull those #s from, thanks, Larry

Comment

Folks,

I was listed on the N.A.D.A Dealer Advisory Board for a minute.
                Which means nada thing.

....Cotten
                PS: I opened and read this thread hopeing to find what a pair of 'blueprinted" '66 heads were worth... Won't know 'til Davenport, I guess.
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-28-2014, 04:26 PM.
                AMCA #776
                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Can't speak for value, but that dresser is gorgeous! That's the same paint scheme as the first year Superglide with the 'glass tail and it's certainly an iconic bike. To have a dresser in the same livery is neat!

Any old bike lover would be happy to give that FL a home. Not that the FXEF isn't a nice machine. But that dresser is a winner!@

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input. I pulled the bikes out this evening and was mistaken about the mileages, the 1971 FLH has 8K+ miles and the FXEF has 5300. I'm meeting with my brother tomorrow and will probably go with $6500 and $11K as reasonable market values. Thanks again everyone!

Shane

Comment

I am no expert on values however I think you are high on the dresser. $8500-9500 is where I would be. It IS a beautiful bike and in wonderful condition.
                      D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Working...
                      X