Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello to all, my name is Stewart. I have just returned from North Carolina where I bought the bike I am using as my Avatar. I had been searching for an affordable and rather complete '65 FLH for many many years. My son found this one for me. The bike had a lot of extra stuff on it that is now mostly off the bike. I want to make this bike a driver not a 100% show bike. The look needs to be close to correct but not perfect as I intend to ride it often. It will take getting used to drum brakes again as it has been 40+ yrs. since I have rode a bike with them.
    This bike was driven into the garage in 2006 and not moved until my son picked it up for me in Feb. it had half a tank of gas, no oil left in the oil tank, no gear oil in the trans, and flat bias ply tires. Will work on getting it started first to see what I am up against.
    As I progress through this, I will probably have many questions as I can already tell that my newer bikes are similar, but TOTALLY different also. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated and welcomed.
    Stewart
    Stewart AMCA #24359

My worst day of riding was better than any day at work.

Welcome to the Forum, Stewart!
    Good to see new folks AND PHOTOS (hint) on here. No problem with drum brakes as long as you plan your panic stops well in advance.
    Will I see you at Kerrville next month?
    Rich

Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Welcome aboard Stewart, there is a wealth of knowledge on here, just ask and most will help. Here is a shot of my org paint 65 FLH

Comment

Larry, this is a good picture to show the difference in 63-65 and 66-69 glass bags....that everyone seems to think are the same because of the common rear lock!

Comment

And I hope this pic helps, Folks,...

To distinguish between '63-64 bags, and '65s.

We should always assume that changes probably occurred mid-production, and subject to dealer's convenience, so nothing should be destroyed by revisionism.

It would be great if we could also identify the last of the "glass-mat" bags.

....Cotten
          Attached Files
          Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-25-2014, 11:45 AM.
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Cotton, my bags have the staples in them, thanks, Larry

Comment

6-1-13 chapter ride 001.jpgwinter ride.jpg
              Hi,
              Here's 2 65s that I ride
              Yours looks good, have fun.

Comment

55tmm, I really like that reverse pant scheme, both bikes look like great riders, thanks, Larry

Comment

Thanks Larry,
                  It is original paint,good thing the Hi-Fi red is on the bottom or it might look like the other one.
                  Like yours too!

Comment

Working...
                  X