741 ingition timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 741 ingition timing

i have to reinstall my distributer and set ingition timing on my 741 ,one book says to set it with the rear head removed and the other with the front head removed wich is the right procedure thanks

Originally posted by jn1972 View Post
    i have to reinstall my distributer and set ingition timing on my 741 ,one book says to set it with the rear head removed and the other with the front head removed wich is the right procedure thanks
    Either will work, using the small dist. lobe for fron tcylinder or wide lobe for rear,and know where the piston position is on compression stroke.
    Tom

Comment

tom will the timing mark on the flywheel work with both front or rear thanks

Comment

No,the position of the flywheels for each cylinder firing point is different.A chiefs $ mark is for front cylinder full advance.I assume the 741 is the same.Not sure what procedures you referenced but usually the "take the front head off" is if no flywheel mark.And verify that you are on compression stroke.
        Tom

Comment

tom i removed the front head .i set the timing mark on the flywheel to the center of the hole on the left side both of my valves are closed ,being new to this i would think this is my compression stroke ,i now have to reinstall the oil pump ,the slot in the pump that the distributer fits in to should be at a right angle to the pump is this correct ? thanks jerry

Comment

tom i removed the front head .i set the timing mark on the flywheel to the center of the hole on the left side both of my valves are closed ,being new to this i would think this is my compression stroke ,i now have to reinstall the oil pump ,the slot in the pump that the distributer fits in to should be at a right angle to the pump is this correct ? thanks jerry
            Sounds like you have the flywheel positioned.
            I would put the dist. in the pump and install loose until you verify that the cap wires are inline with frame when points are just breaking at full advance.
            The dist.will turn as its installed.If its off just pull back to disengage gear,turn dist. in whatever direction needed to position correctly when installed.When this checks note dist. position ,remove pump to put sealer on gasket,reinstall and check.
            Tom

Comment

Tom sorry to be bothersome I attempted to reinstall my oil pump,my book says to have the notch for the dist at a right angle to the oil pump when you install it .with my flywheel on the mark and the front piston at 3/8 fromthe top of the cylinder the pump lines up with the gears either slightly towards the rear wheel apx 5% or slightly forward toward the front wheel apx 8% when I install the dist and the points are just breaking with the notch towards the rear the centerline of the cap does not line up with the frame with the notch toward the front wheel it does which is correct. Thanks Jerry

Comment

Tom sorry to be bothersome I attempted to reinstall my oil pump,my book says to have the notch for the dist at a right angle to the oil pump when you install it .with my flywheel on the mark and the front piston at 3/8 fromthe top of the cylinder the pump lines up with the gears either slightly towards the rear wheel apx 5% or slightly forward toward the front wheel apx 8% when I install the dist and the points are just breaking with the notch towards the rear the centerline of the cap does not line up with the frame with the notch toward the front wheel it does which is correct. Thanks Jerry
                Not sure I follow you about the notch,but the dist. goes in one way with the greaser in front..Also make sure the points are breaking with the dist fully advanced,inward in slot on adv. retard plate.
                Tom

Comment

I'd do a double check on this. When rotating to find the timing mark, make sure you have rotated past the intake valve closing (approx 180 degrees). If the intake valve starts to open immediately after the timing mark you will need one more rotation to find tic on the compression stroke.
                  I've made that mistake, .... it was dark, .... and stormy .............. okay it was just me

Comment

I took the heads off my indian and set the timing off the front cylinder ,i also changed the points and condenser ,put everything back together with new head gasgets and was finally able to take it for a ride. the power seems ok now,i do not know witch of the things i did solved the problem but thanks for everyones help jerry

Comment

Any 39' scout parts for sale? Possible frame? Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X