Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll assume this is a Flanders 4 :-)

Flanders 1910 4.jpg

Circa 1910 Baylor University archive photo of the Young Men's Business League in Waco, TX along with at least part of the Baylor University band. They appear to be headed out on some kind of excursion to somewhere, but what they're doing exactly I'm not sure anybody can say.
    Ray
    AMCA #7140

That sure is a weird promotion for the Flanders. Great picture Ray; thanks for posting it.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Yeah it's a fun photo but has great resolution. In the back that banner mentions a trade exposition. So makes me wonder if there are more photos from that event.

Or does it say something like "Trade Excursion Pilot" Might explain the train.
      Last edited by rbenash; 02-20-2014, 08:57 AM.
      Ray
      AMCA #7140

Comment

Judging by the spiffiness of that Flanders I would guess that it may have showed up on that train. Great photo. Thanks Ray.
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Flanders were built in Michigan they had two plants, one in Pontiac and the other still standing in down town Chelsea having a land mark clock tower on M52 about 60 miles from Wauseon Ohio.

Other than the Flanders four (a single cylinder 4 hp) Flanders also had at least one twin cylinder bike, the only one I am aware of is the machine once owned by late AMCA member Ira Bullock also of Michigan, Ira is whom I acquired a 1930 KJ form ( Don't tell anyone ).
          joe

Comment

Would be cool to have a Flanders twin photo posted. Of course I was too lazy to do the upthread look/search :-) I take a look in the library.
            )
            Ray
            AMCA #7140

Comment

Ray... take a spin through this page... http://emfauto.org/factory_tour_2008.php ... you'll find what you're looking for....
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

Wow, thanks Cory. I love that red Flanders with the enclosed chain guard. Really cool looking twin!

Funny my '65 HD resto was gigged at Jefforson for having the unique first year '65 accessory enclosed chain guard attached.

I'll have to remove it and put on the standard boring less practical open guard on to save a point at Oley :-) All good, just sayin' :-)

I always liked the closed chain guard concept on MC and Bicycles. Just makes sense. Especially on early bikes that had to run on muddy, dirty roads. That's a big deal as far as routine maintenance. Not to mention all that crap that gets tossed up on the spokes, wheels, every where else.
                Ray
                AMCA #7140

Comment

From looking at the photo this is not a early Flanders. You can see a oil site window at the bottom of the case. Early Flanders motors like mine don't have a site window. From all the paper I have on Flanders, some were after the #1300 bike was produced did this change in the cases show up.

Comment

For what it's worth YMBL equals Waco Young Men's Business League. From what I could find out they were promoting a railroad that was being built from Waco, TX to the Gulf. The excursions were booster events. They apparently took and excursion from Waco to the end of the line stopping from town to town to play music, etc and "boost" for completion of the railroad. I've seen panaoramic photo examples similar to this from 1910 (this one) through 1915. This is the only one I've seen with a motorcycle. Probably because "Hall Cycle" was promoting/supporting this one. The excursion events probably stopped when the railroad was completed IMHO.
                    Ray
                    AMCA #7140

Comment

Working...
                    X