BMW R60 upgraded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW R60 upgraded

Just finished making the pipes and long overdue maintenance, might take it on a ride south to Panama this fall.
    Attached Files
    Louie
    FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
    Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
    YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Panama's too easy....

Tierra Del Fuego!!

Neat machine! I had a mid-1960's R50 pre-toaster for a while and it was such a sweet little machine. My 1990 GS Dakar is the best long-range bike I've ever owned. I love my big HD Dresser, but the GS just goes anywhere you want, effortlessly!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Always hated header wrap and now I just feel sorry for that poor toaster!!
      Ride sounds good. If you need upsweep pipes get a set of factory types. They exist out there.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I agree about the GS but I can fix this one with a hammer and rock, no electrics and sensors the go out. South America will be another trip.

I made the pipes the way I wanted them, took the stock pipes off and chucked them in the river (just kidding).
        Louie
        YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Louie:

My 1990 GS is among the last of the "all analog" bikes. No computer, no Fuel injection, no ABS, nothing. Pair of Bings and all run by cables and 12volt easily fixed wires. I bought it specifically for that purpose (no computers) to take a ride into Russia where I didn't want to have any electronics to worry about. Russia ride never happened due to visas and the fact that we were told by several people that if you ride into Latvia... they will kill you and take your motorcycles. Really. So we re-routed up to the North of Norway and I did get to Kirkenes on the Russian Border. That place is like Dodge City c. 1880 if Dodge City were full of Vikings and Cossacks. But the bike is something I can fix with beer cans and baling wire, anywhere. And have never had to!

Bike is still in Germany, waiting for me to do another trip over there, maybe this year, maybe next. I want to ride down to the D-Day beaches and then follow the 'Band of Brothers' through Europe ending at the Eagles Nest. It's a well-defined route as a lot of American riders do that as a tour. Then thinking about taking ferries from Scotland to the Faroe Islands and then a ferry to Iceland to ride around Iceland, which is so cool-looking for riding. Then ship it home. Or to New Zealand. So many roads, so little time.

This is my GS... at the Arctic Circle in 2012. 400 miles to go to Nordkapp and another 250 or so to the Russian Border at Kirkenes, a bit north of Murmansk. It was mid-June and about 32 degrees. I wired the bike for a heated vest.

I also want to take it on the Trans-Labrador when I get it back to North America.

So you can see why I like your Bimmer, Louie!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Nice bike...wanta sell it? Got a few friends who have been through Russia (and RTW) and loved it, I took a tour the Balkens last summer (BG, RO, KO, SER, MAC) and it was great. I have people tell me all the time I'll get killed or kidnapped in one of these countries, the place I'm afraid of is downtown in the city I live in! Went to the Arctic circle (11K miles, 500 miles of dirt) back in 2008 on my HD dresser, tore the bike up but had a great time. Shooting for Central America then South America down the road.

Picture in MTNs of Romania...
            Attached Files
            Louie
            YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

A kindred spirit.

I rode with some people who did have their visa and we parted at Kirkenes. They went into Russia, down to St. P. and then on to Moscow and back to England. Now here's the wild part... two up on an Armstrong MT350 ex-British MOD single. The whole way. I think it was almost 10,000 miles they did in total. Amazing couple... we only rode together about 3 days but had been in communication via the MT Riders forum for weeks before meeting up. They are now lifetime friends. Somewhere online they have a Blog about the trip.

I had my HD Dresser up to the Trans Lab at Manic Cinque a few years ago. Rode one mile onto the Trans lab, one mile off, just to say I had ridden on it on an HD. People have done it, but it's nuts. You will destroy an HD on that highway. Not to mention run out of gas unless you carry cans or have a support truck. Dakar would do Trans Lab like an Interstate.

I want to ride in the Balkans. I hear it is amazing riding now that they're not blowing each other up. Though the minefields have not changed since I was there in the 1990's, I daresay. Great countryside (the un-mined part of it).

Also been told that the best way to ride Alaska Highway is to ride up to Alaska... then rent a bike. Destroy someone else's machine. But that's not the point... I want to bring home my memories on my bike. Which is why the Dakar won't be leaving my side (backside?) any time soon. But I appreciate the offer. IMHO, it's a future classic in a big way. Moreover, it's been a travelling companion. How can I sell something like that?

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Took the BMW through the woods for a couple miles, still have street tires on it which slipped around a bit but the ground clearance was no problem. Ya I know the pics suck, took with my "dumb" phone.
                Attached Files
                Louie
                YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Working...
                X