Fried the clutch release bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fried the clutch release bearing

My first post here at the AMCA, so a big hello from me.
    Dispite it being in the middle of one of the wettest winters in my memory over here, I had a very rare oppotunity to take my stroked scout out for a ride at the weekend and blow away some dust and cobwebbs when some unexpected sunshine appeared. On the homeward side of the journey I noticed the clutch pedal was occasionally kicking up to disengage on its own under my foot. I thought I would take it easy and check it out when I got back home - too late, the clutch lever shot off the floor board, the actuating lever ended up a good 120 degrees around from its usual position, the motor stopped. I could not return the clutch release arm to its normal position so I trailered the cycle home.
    On investigating, I found that the clutch thrust bearing was completely shot to bits. As the bearing cage failed the balls must have dropped and actuated the clutch big time - very lucky there was no other damage to clutch and casing, furthermore all the removed bearing parts had no sign of lubrication whatsoever !
    My first question is how is this bearing lubricated? by the primary chain oil or does it have to be greased periodically ?
    Second, what sort of fit does the bearing have on the worm release shaft ?
    Cheers
    Paul
    AMCA#24040 - too many toys - not enough time
Working...
X