41 Scout gear grinding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 41 Scout gear grinding

Do the Indian always grind into gear when shifting from Nuetral with the clutch out? I am thinking they are straight cut gears and grind but wasn't sure if there were adjustments to help ease the grinding?

Originally posted by 41indian View Post
    Do the Indian always grind into gear when shifting from Nuetral with the clutch out? I am thinking they are straight cut gears and grind but wasn't sure if there were adjustments to help ease the grinding?
    Yes, they are straight cut gears. It's all those clutch discs in 30 wt oil that are a bit sticky in the disengage position that cause the grind. I try to allow a good warm-up of the engine until I can maintain a very low idle before engagement, and then quickly throw it into gear. Another thing I've tried is automatic trans fluid in the trans/primary, but that stuff finds the leaks. Tried sealing the trans from the primary too, and the clutch likes it, but I can't say the trans likes it.

Comment

My 1940SS does the same thing. At first I tried adjusting the clutch but that didn't do much. The grinding was especially bad after sitting for several weeks. Thankfully my driveway was down hill and I could get rolling, then put in first gear as I coasted down. After several stops and starts in first gear every thing worked fairly well. I was then told that they all do this and the best thing to do is thoroughly warm up and get the idle VERY low and snap firmly into first gear. This was the best advice I received and everything is right with the world now!
      Bob Selph
      1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
      1940 Sport Scout
      AMCA#15215

Comment

Thanks guys
        I heard the Raven Kevlar clutches help?

Comment

another thing that helps, just roll the bike forward a touch as you drop it into 1st. They have teeth to teeth in 1st and 2nd, 3rd has a dog, all part of the Indian charm :-)

Comment

Working...
          X