First start 41 scout this weekend... or at least a try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First start 41 scout this weekend... or at least a try

Going to try and start the bike sunday any pre-flight rituals that people have?

I watched a few videos on line but not very detailed

Spark advance full
    Throttle 1/2
    Choke one click on?
    three kicks
    then turn ignition switch on tank on? what position does this go as mine is not marked? one, two or three clicks to the right?
    Kick and start right?

any advice is more than welcome!
    Attached Files

Spark advance is retarded to start - less likely to kick back that way. Once it fires advance spark , should be one click to the right on the switch, give it two good kicks full throtle, choke full closed. Then about half or less, choke open to second notch or so, turn the ignition on and go, don't forget to turn the gas on. It don't hurt to have a fire extinguisher standing by - good luck!!! Right on and have fun !

Comment

Clear that wording up a bit, prime with key in off position.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Lovejoy View Post
        Clear that wording up a bit, prime with key in off position.
        And gas off while priming? My BMW I prime with gas on then kick with ignition. Just curious....

Comment

Gas on while priming. If you follow Tom's advice and all is right with your sickle, it outta fire right up.

Oh, yeah don't forget to open the choke all the way after it's warmed up a bit!
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

For the first time in 9 years she is alive!!!

Melted the spark plug wires, damn!! but she ran!!! Thanks for the advice!!

Comment

Melted the wires built all new set copper core

She fires but dies after idle for a few minutes? Dies quickly? Carb float?

Comment

Right on! well done! sounds good too, check your gas cap - make sure the vent is open. leave it loose and see if that makes a difference -If clogged, they will die like that. Check the gas flow from you pet cock/ tank to carb. Check float level, doe's it idle ok? You'll git it, hang in there - you'll be riding in no time!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Lovejoy View Post
                  Right on! well done! sounds good too, check your gas cap - make sure the vent is open. leave it loose and see if that makes a difference -If clogged, they will die like that. Check the gas flow from you pet cock/ tank to carb. Check float level, doe's it idle ok? You'll git it, hang in there - you'll be riding in no time!
                  Thanks I'll try the caps... Got lots of gas.... Wondering if I damaged the could at when the plug wires melted it shorted to the heads?

Comment

Ok fuel caps loose fired up two kicks idles fast

As I play with the throttle and spark advance it backfires and dies out. I can seem to be throttle down without spark advance full? i.e is I rotate both wrist in it should speed up both out it should idle slow right?

Seems to be lots of gas "splashing" out the carb as well. I set the high speed idle 1-1/2 turns out and the low speed idle 4 turns out per the riders book as a starting point.

Last edited by 41indian; 01-21-2014, 09:52 PM. Reason: video

Comment

Did you dial in your carb after the initial setting to fire it up? Might only need some fine tuning... worst case scenario some carb/manifold work. As Tom said... have you checked the float level? Other than that it sounds like you are well on your way to riding that bike! Gotta love the sound of a flathead!
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

Cory not yet going to try that next assuming it is running rich at those settings based on riders manual.

Comment

Ok let is sore from kicking so I am earning this!!!

I pulled the fast and slow needles they look fine.
                          I ended up pulling the bowl and no signs of damage.
                          The shut of needle looks good and the float is brass
                          I set it at 1/4" from the top of the bowl is that right? I am reading that that may not be right and was for a cork float? shout it shut of lower with the brass float?

I can't get it to stay running unless I advance full on spark and a lot of throttle, even then you see gas coming out the carb throat now? That can't be right?

frustrated !!! but that's why I bought it

Frustrated as I had it running before I melted the wires, I set the carb back to factory preset which are supposed to be rich and made new copper core plug wires
                          Last edited by 41indian; 01-22-2014, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Your shot's are fun to watch, hang in there. Once its running, should be full advanced, unless your trying to slow it down to the max - which is not good for the engine. Idling to slow, I mean. Always been told, keep it advanced, unless pulling a real hill or something. Then just back off a bit till you feel the engine hit a sweet spot. Not sure about the float level as far as brass, but manual says - 1/4 inch. I don't know, but on mine - I think because of worn parts. I have my needles turned way in. If I remember right my high speed was 3/4 turn out and low speed 2 turns out. With mine turned out like the manual says to start - it was way to rich. I like to run a fan on my engine when I do this work, help keep it from getting to hot. It's kind of tricky, always takes me several attempts to git it the best I can. It sounded like it was idling pretty good I thought, don't think you have intake leaks. Always better a bit rich than to lean, once you git it running the way you like. I would richen it two notches or so on the high speed just to play it safe. As long as your not blowing black smoke or back firing all over the neighborhood :-) Keep at it, usually when I git fed up and am about to throw in the towel, that's when I git it - good luck.

Comment

Tom thanks I ordered a new float(rubber duck)and needle/seat. I hear you on idle speed but i can back throttle off at all. Will leave advance on an see if i can dial it in.

Comment

Working...
                              X