Ed Gerlits, Rocky Mtn. Chapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ed Gerlits, Rocky Mtn. Chapter

Ed Gerlits passed away on December 17th in Pomona California. He was there assisting with the preparations of Union Pacific steam locomotive #4014 as it was being prepared to be towed to Cheyene Wyoming for restoration. He came down with pneumonia while there and was in the hospital for 3 weeks. He fought long and hard, but lost his battle after 2 weeks and 3 attempts to get off the respirator.

While Ed's true love has always been steam trains, he shared my passion for old motorcycles too. Ed and I both joined the fledgling Rocky Mtn. Chapter in 1982. Ed was instrumental in helping the chapter plan and coordinate the very first national road run, the 1st Rocky Mtn. DJ Run, as it was called. Ed had years of experience running railroad excursions for large groups of people so he was a natural and steered us in the right direction. His work helped set the stage for what has now become a very popular part of our club, all the road runs that we enjoy today.

Ed first wanted to build a steam powered Servi-Car! We rounded up a chassis, steam engines from a Locomobile and Dayton steam cars and started laying out the workings of the mighty Gerlits steam trike. It was shaping up to be a real Rube Goldberg delight! Many obstacles popped up but plans were progressing when Woody Carson posted an ad in the Rocky Mtn. Chapter newsletter advertising a '41 Servi-Car for sale, in "Kit Form". We met Woody and Ed bought the partially restored project from the widow of the previous owner. I helped Ed restore the Servi-Car as a Fire Chief's vehicle, because it had many police accessories, but Ed didn't like police colors, but loved fire engine red and gold leaf striping. He rode the trike on a number of road runs here in Colorado. Don't ever let anyone tell you that Servi-Car can't go down the road. The trike could run 55 mph all day long but did need to get a run at the hills to keep up speed. He rode over 12,000 foot high Trail Ridge Road more than once with the trike, all stock except for gearing!. His last road run was on the Angel Fire Road Run in 2008. Ed also had a 1939 knucklehead that was restored and he rode that on a few road runs as well.

Ed was one of the men who came into my life at a critical time, as I had no good father figure. Ed was a father to me as well as a great friend. He taught me many things and was always willing to drop whatever he was doing to help me out, whatever the job may be. I will miss him very much! Godspeed to you Ed!

Gene Harper
    Attached Files

I'm very sorry to hear this Gene as I was a member of the Rocky Mountain Chapter in the early eighties thanks to Carl Bogel and I remember this Servi Car as with Woody Carson. R.I.P. Ed and God Bless.
    Len.
    AMCA #765

Comment

very great write up about your friend and mentor. arms around you his friends an family. Linda an Gary
      gww57.com

Comment

I agree with Gary. That's a very fitting "write up". It's always sad to hear about the passing of another "good one". Best wishes to you, his family and friends.
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Thank you for posting here, Gene, I followed your updates to the RMC members hoping for a better ending. I remember Ed in uniform at Angel Fire, a true enthusiast. My best to all his family and friends.
          Rich
          Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

My condolences and sympathy to you Gene for the loss. Though he wasn't a paternal father, the emotional connection to such an influential person can be just as strong or stronger than a blood relative as I'm sure you know. After reading your obituary of sorts, I can understand what kind of person he was. Its sad to see these old guys with genuine character and wisdom passing on when it seems those traits are becoming scarce in younger generations.
            One thing for certain is Ed's values, knowledge, and the guidance he provided will continue to live on through you and anyone elses lives he touched. May
            God rest his soul in peace.
            Jason Zerbini
            Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
            Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Hi Gene...So sorry to hear of Ed's passing. May he rest in peace. Had the pleasure of meeting him as well as yourself on a couple of early Colorado road runs. He was a fine gentleman. I have a number of pictures of his Fire Chief Trike. I thought the gold leaf work on it was was so great.....Rod

Comment

My deepest condolences to Ed Gerlits' family, and dear friends. Good people leave a legacy of warm memories, knowledge passed on, and a human's best trait; friendship. Good people live forever. Rest in peace Ed.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                X