Excelsior article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excelsior article

I want to thank, and compliment Robert Turek for his well written article; 'The Origins of Excelsior' in our Winter magazine. I can only imagine how much research, and investigative dillegence went into getting those obscure facts together. That is by far the most comprehensive, and well written aticle I've seen on Excelsior's pre-Schwinn days. I thought the tie-in to F.L. Wright and the Robie house was very interesting and something I never put together. It's great when history overlaps like that, and you know the characters.

The end of the article mentions the author has a more complete version of this story. If you're out there Bob, I would be very interested in that unabridged version.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

lately on web statements of Scwinn starting Ex has made me want to puke
    '08-9 ad
    http://

Comment

I can understand ignoring the Robie family because they were overshadowed by Schwinn's huge impact, and history has not been kind to them; however Ingatz Schwinn's remarkable achievemnts can't be underestimated. He went head to head with Indian, and Harley-Davidson and whupped their asses on many occasions. An Excelsior was THE first competiton motorcycle to go a documented 100 mph.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Was Schwinn's first name Ignatz or Ignaz? I've seen it both ways and always wondered.

Comment

Originally posted by Kozy View Post
          Was Schwinn's first name Ignatz or Ignaz? I've seen it both ways and always wondered.
          I've seen it both ways also, but I think Ignaz is probably correct. One thing for sure; it's not spelled 'Ingatz' like I mispelled it above
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
            I want to thank, and compliment Robert Turek for his well written article; 'The Origins of Excelsior' in our Winter magazine. I can only imagine how much research, and investigative dillegence went into getting those obscure facts together. That is by far the most comprehensive, and well written aticle I've seen on Excelsior's pre-Schwinn days. I thought the tie-in to F.L. Wright and the Robie house was very interesting and something I never put together. It's great when history overlaps like that, and you know the characters.

The end of the article mentions the author has a more complete version of this story. If you're out there Bob, I would be very interested in that unabridged version.
            Thanks for the kind words about the article. Bill Wood deserves some of the credit for the great
            editing job he did. It's unfortunate that the early history of Ex hasn't been documented before.
            Fred Robie did quite a job building the brand from nothing to a competitive level right behind
            Indian in just 4 years.

Bob Turek

Comment

Agree with Eric, thanks Bob! Good reading and allot of it was new to me + interesting, thanks again.

Comment

I finally got through this much anticipated article. Great stuff Bob. Thanks for digging for the details!
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                X