Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to remove speed gear

Hello All-
    Can someone please tell me how to remove the speedo drive gear from the wheel on a military 741. See enclosed pic.
    Is the speedo drive gear and the metal ring in front all one piece? I'm trying to take this all apart, clean it up and then rebuild.

Also, I've removed the bearing cone (on each side). How do I remove the bearing cup?

thanks,
    Jeff
    Attached Files

The gear is not part of the front part you are pointing to. The gear is just flat, and pressed on to a machined area with an interference fit. Try a gear puller, and put a slug or something in the opening to drive against. If you don't have one, put an nice hard block of oak or similar under the gear and work all the way around with a big screwdriver. Gently pry it a bit at a time. My sport scout hub (similar) had no lip to drive the races out from the opposite side. So I learned a nifty trick. I took it to my friend with and arc welder. I ran a bead on the face of the race, and when it cools, it will fall right out. I've done this on a few hubs now and it works like a charm. Obviously, don't miss and weld the race to the hub body. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
    X