will e78 points work on 80 xlch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will e78 points work on 80 xlch

my friend found a 1980 xlch in a shed and was wondering what the right points are for it jp cycles has them up to e78 will they work? thanks for the help

In 78 1/2 they went to the electronic ignition, being the non trusting type a lot of people changed them back to the points and condenser. If there is points in the1980 I would think that they would be the same as the early models. All the ones I changed were using the early parts.
    Jim D.
    Jim D

Comment

When changing back to "points and condenser " ignition you must also replace the coil. Most guys would used the same one that was for the electronic ignition. It will work ,but because of the different ohms(I think) the points would burn up quickley. So you need a coil for the points type ignition.

Comment

If it has points, they are the same as 60's Chevy six cylinder. The Delco number is D108P (back in the day I always used Blue Streak, much higher quality)

Comment

Late '78 and '79 electronic ignitions used point coil-5 OHM--1980-later used 3 OHM coil

Comment

Working...
          X