Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junior Scout front end woes

Hello,
    I am in the process (a very slow one) of mocking up my 37 Junior Scout. It now seems that the shackles for the girder are not correct as the spring is almost on the neck, and any compression of it would put it in contact with the neck. Would someone please measure their upper and lower shackles and post the numbers? I just need the center to center distance. Also, I am curious about the spacing at the front axle while you have a tape measure out.
    I am thinking that I have four uppers, and no lowers, but who knows. The frame and neck are stock. The front end look correct compared to the pics of the 37 for sale on Greer's site. I might have the wrong front wheel. One step at a time though!
    Thank you, Gary G

Nevermind about the front axle spacing. I figured out that I have a later front wheel, all the same but the hollow and solid axles. Still concerned about the shackles. according to the parts book, they are the same top and bottom, as mine are. They differ left and right as mine do. I can not find a dimension anywhere though.
    Cheers, G

Comment

Just saw your thread. We built a 38 jr to race at Bonneville in '05 but we weren't to fussy about stock perfection, just speed. I also have a 1936 all primed and ready for building but it''s 4 bikes down the road. To be clear do want the shackle (dogbone piece) measurement in length, if so I can measure. My race bike is in a local museum so I can't get a good picture for you. However I have a CD with dozens of great shots and I'll mail you a copy if you send me your address. Lots of great shots that will help. Worked with sharing info with Glen Shriver in Chicago and he did a real nice job on a 37 (I think) for his nephewseveral years back.
      Ross

Comment

Made an extra CD. Has 90 great pictures of a 1937
        Ross

Comment

Ross,
          That would be super helpful! Yes, I was asking for the length of the dogbones.
          Thank you, GG
          Last edited by gboblebeef; 10-30-2013, 10:14 AM.

Comment

I will measure and get back to you. Email me your address and I'll mail you the CD. You can buy me a beer someday. moose102@mymts.net
            Ross

Comment

Just mailed your CD. I live in the country so it always takes 2 or 3 days longer to get something somewhere. I measured the "dogbone" on several jr scout pieces of front ends and the ones I have are all 4 inches in length.
              Ross

Comment

gboblebeef,
                I was out of town when this was posted and was unable to help.
                The "dog bones" on my '38 also measure 4" long.
                It is very unusual to see a post for the Jr. Scouts.
                I am also trying to gather as much information about them. Very little documentation on them.
                Good luck with your project.
                Ross, do you have any contact information for Glenn Shriver? Do you think he would be willing to share any of his knowledge?
                Thanks in advanced for your help.
                Here is a photo of my '38 nearing completion.

1938 Indian Scout
                1947 WL
                1954 Servi-car
                2000 Ultra

Comment

Beautiful machine you have there!

Comment

Thanks for the kind words Tom.
                    I sure do enjoy the experience of owning it and it teaching me a bit of history and early engineering.
                    Always looking for more information on this model.
                    Thanks again.
                    John
                    1938 Indian Scout
                    1947 WL
                    1954 Servi-car
                    2000 Ultra

Comment

Nice John. It's a beauty. Is that called Navahoe Blue? I think you should be able to find Glen in the roster (Chicago). He and I were in close contact several years ago. I believe he would help you with any questions. I have a complete 36 jr waiting in the wings and that colour of blue was it's original colour.I have several transmission cases, all of them iron ones. I need an aluminum one as I used my light weight aluminum one on the Bonneville racer. Anyone out there need iron for aluminum?
                      Ross

Comment

Gary,
                        I read you thread again and noticed you wanted the center dimensions. My 4" dog bones measure 3" center to center.

This photo is the best I have of the spring and the shackles.

I hope this helps.
                        John
                        1938 Indian Scout
                        1947 WL
                        1954 Servi-car
                        2000 Ultra

Comment

thanks Guys, The pictures and measurements are very helpful. Odd thing is that my bits seem to be the correct ones, however I am in a quandary about the contact issue. I will try and get some pictures today. Maybe one of you will see something I am missing.
                          Cheers, Gary
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by gboblebeef; 11-10-2013, 03:38 PM. Reason: add pictures

Comment

Hello Gary,
                            What is the condition of your top and bottom neck bearings?
                            I replaced the bottom balls with a tapered roller bearing and race..
                            I can't tell from your photos but the pin for the ride control friction discs should be on the right side, it may make a difference.

I hope this helps.
                            John
                            1938 Indian Scout
                            1947 WL
                            1954 Servi-car
                            2000 Ultra

Comment

Have you considered the spring itself might be the wrong one? Just a thought, but somewhere in the history of your Scout someone may have opted for a stronger spring and never got it together to see if it actually fit!
                              Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Working...
                              X