Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1939 EL build (Yes I know, "Not another Knucklehead..")

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1939 EL build (Yes I know, "Not another Knucklehead..")

Hello All,
    Starting my 1939 EL build this winter finally!!
    Some of the work is already done but I was waiting to put in front of yall until it got cold and I could move into the shop without disruptions. The Engine and Transmission are complete as is the sheetmetal and paint, I will take some pictures and post. Sounds like a lot is complete but looking at the pile of parts in the shop I feel like I am just starting. I am not a Knucklehead genius and do not claim to be so any help will be appreciated. I have always been into old bikes and have owned several, mostly Harley panheads. This is my first Knuckle restoration and looking at the price probably last . I am on the fence as far as judging, I know it should be judged but I have never been interested in that. Actually I am intimidated by the whole Judging thing so I figured this was a way I could get some help and confidence prior to having it judged if I choose. If you watched my kids build "Austins Bobber Build" you know I ramble about things and post what ever picture is crossing my mind at the time so bear with me. Only thing I have to send out that will require time is the seat pan. Cad plating everything else is in the shop ready to be worked on (I think). A few pics of the Frame and Forks photo IMG_1066_zpse16d8d31.jpg
     photo IMG_1064_zpsb759bed0.jpg
     photo IMG_1065_zpsef73e14a.jpg
     photo IMG_1062_zpse1468b70.jpg

Hey Bob, great to see you are doing an early knuck, please keep us posted. I too am still working on 36EL1086 but have not made any post for a while. I am still torn between a bobber or full restoration, thanks, Larry

Comment

knuckle

Hey Bob Looks like you have a super start with frame and fork .Hope your sons giving you help.He did such a great job on his bobber. Enjoy Loyd

Comment

Originally posted by diesel55 View Post
        Hey Bob Looks like you have a super start with frame and fork .Hope your sons giving you help.He did such a great job on his bobber. Enjoy Loyd
        Hey Loyd, He is always into somenthing if not helping me......as for the Knuck I am pretty sure I have everything just need to add time and sweat. photo IMG_1047_zpsceddb88d.jpg
         photo IMG_1045_zpsc10f73b4.jpg
         photo IMG_1052_zpsbd65ae5d.jpg

Comment

Hi Bob. I am looking forward to the build.
          I noticed a Sine bar nestled against your toolbox and I'm wondering if you have toolroom training in your background? Well setup workshop by the way.
          Steve Little
          Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
          Australia.
          AMCA member 1950

Comment

Hey Bob,
            Looking for measurement's for the application on the tank decals as my sheet metal is going to the painter. Any help is great appreciated.
            Len.
            AMCA #765

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Little View Post
              Hi Bob. I am looking forward to the build.
              I noticed a Sine bar nestled against your toolbox and I'm wondering if you have toolroom training in your background? Well setup workshop by the way.
              No tool room training sorry to say, I just like to learn and have an interest in machining and fabrication. I am a Millwright by trade (Industrial Mechanic) but 90% of what I do is service and install Large Stamping presses. I use the sine bars for set ups on my lathe and mill.
               photo bedttai_zpsc791de65.jpg
               photo mob2_zpsef3aa03d.jpg
               photo IMG_0358_zps150c1ae5.jpg
               photo DSCN1213_zpsa78b3ece.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by len dowe View Post
                Hey Bob,
                Looking for measurement's for the application on the tank decals as my sheet metal is going to the painter. Any help is great appreciated.
                Len.
                Hello Len, Long time no talk to.
                John Pierce did my paint and I will measure this weekend and post pics. I have to trust the experts with things like this so I hope mine are correct!!!!
                How is your kid doing on his bike? If you were on the road run in Colorado this summer and passed a kid fly fishing just outside Crawford CO that was Austin! He was visiting my sister that lives in Hotchkiss Co and I started getting text saying There goes a Knuckle, and a Pan and a Chief another Knuckle and on and on.....
                He was pissed he didn't have his bike there.

Comment

hi Bob,
                  Yes, long time no talk. My apology as I haven't checked this forum as much as I should.
                  Thank you so much for the help on the decals as John is the best and I'm sure they are dead on. I'll spend more time here to check on your 39. If I can help in anyway, please let me know as I know this one is going to be very nice as with everything you do.
                  I'll send a pm and fill you in later tonight on all things.
                  Len.
                  AMCA #765

Comment

I'll be following along on this one. Thanks for taking the time to post this stuff Bob. Diggin' the "work" photos too. I see Austin is working on a Beezer now. He's gonna notice a big difference riding that one!
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

Len, You asked for it!!!!
                      I cut the tape measure at 10 inches on all measurments because the metal tab on the end would scratch paint.
                      Keep in mind I held the tape on the flatside of the tank except the measurments that were in line with the fill neck.
                      The pics are in order with each side. I have no idea what your painter wants and if he needs more, number the pics and tell me where to put tape.
                      Hope this helps.
                      The sealer you asked about is the black shown on the neck, it is almost like Parkerizing and is some good stuff. Yes you can paint over it. It would be good for seat pans to help stop rust also.
                       photo IMG_1068_zps891539a3.jpg
                       photo IMG_1069_zps2c9e737d.jpg
                      Right tank
                       photo IMG_1070_zpsadcb4b55.jpg

Comment

photo IMG_1072_zps9f8a2a4b.jpg
                         photo IMG_1073_zps4e598c33.jpg
                         photo IMG_1074_zpsdc30014c.jpg
                         photo IMG_1075_zpsa3abad52.jpg

Comment

photo IMG_1076_zps079248e4.jpg
                           photo IMG_1077_zpsd3ee7d7f.jpg
                           photo IMG_1078_zps9859be0f.jpg
                           photo IMG_1079_zpsf6882ad7.jpg

Comment

Copal Varnish I think its called or ?????....its a painter thing
                             photo IMG_1080_zps0d173abd.jpg
                             photo IMG_1081_zps9345d9a5.jpg
                             photo IMG_1082_zpsfb7b19fa.jpg
                             photo IMG_1083_zpse2c75c17.jpg

Comment

photo IMG_1084_zps5e0e8126.jpg
                              Pretty Ballsy with a screwdriver dontcha think!!!!
                               photo IMG_1085_zps866442f7.jpg
                               photo IMG_1086_zps5104dd6c.jpg
                               photo IMG_1087_zps3e42e9b1.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X