Judging question and greetings from new member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judging question and greetings from new member

Let me start out by introducing myself. I'm Neil and I'm new to AMCA. I've been a rider/enthusiast for more than 25 years.

A few weeks back I acquired my first "antique motorcycle, so here I am.

I am planning on attending my first meet this weekend at Jefferson. Excited.
    Now to the judging question.

Are hard bags considered a sub component? If a motorcycle has original bags but the bags are not original paint, will points be deducted?

Look forward to meeting the community this weekend.

Neil

If bags were a factory fitted item as part of original specification they must be correct. If bags were not stock and are an aftermarket period accessory they do not count.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thank you,
      I would assume hard side bags would probably be factory fitted on a 68 FLH.
      Sounds like maybe I'll just bring the bags along, but not mount them for judging. I have a lot to learn here I see.

Comment

Welcome to the club Neil!!! Learning is all part of the fun. Most of us here are still in learning mode. Guys like Robbie have probably forgotten more than know!!! I'm pretty sure your hard bags would have been stock but you'll no doubt get confirmation. Have fun at Jefferson!
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

If you are only wondering about the bags not being original paint, then I'd say you're in pretty good shape. My advise... if this is your first meet, just watch the judging to see how it goes... then next time around, you'll be better prepared for what you'll be faced with. Good Luck, and welcome to the AMCA

Comment

Why not go ahead and have it judged and maybe that way you will find out. Worst case is you score a junior first and find out what else may be in question and you have the winter and the swap meet to find and correct anything that may not be correct. No matter what you do you aren't going to get better than a junior first ( per the rules) on your first judging anyway so no big loss and you might find out a whole lot along the way. That way you start getting towards the coveted "winners circle " status. JMO.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
            AMCA # 12766

Comment

If it was equipped with a "King of the Highway" package the bags were standard. But with no pics all this is guesswork. And bags were never painted, the color is the gelcoat, and all in the '60s were white.
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Here is a link to a pic of the bike.
                http://imgur.com/p4U8Tx2
                Bags for judging or no bags?

Rollo, I'm with you. Get it judged, no harm other than a few $ and I get to find out exactly what needs attention.

Comment

Bags would be correct.
                  Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Rubone,

So you are saying that points would not be deducted because of paint? Paint on the bags.
                    Last edited by neilenzukit; 10-02-2013, 09:06 AM. Reason: Specified what paint

Comment

No, I did not say that. What I said is the bags are part of the original equipment group it came with, and it would be better to take a paint hit than a possible larger deduction for them not being there. If the bags are left off so should all the rest of the group. Even though accessories are not judged, if they are part of the original group they need to be there.
                      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Ok, thank you.
                        I see the reasoning there. I thought that maybe if I removed the bags for judging it be better, but now I know. Glad I asked the question.

Sorry to beat the dead horse but just to clarify for me, you believe that the bike entered in this configuration http://i.imgur.com/p4U8Tx2.png would most likely score higher than the bike entered in this configuration http://imgur.com/W0E9PBu. Because the bags were original equipment.

Comment

Remove the striped trim on the carb cover. That is a later accessory I believe. The chrome springs and supports for the seat may be a deduction also. I thought all 68s had the flat black panel on the tank but someone here probably knows better. Mine is a 7000 mile 99 + pt OP 68. Here is the link to some pics. http://s1123.photobucket.com/user/Panheadzz/library/ As you see mine also has another stripe at the bottom of the panel. Yours looks like a 67 paint scheme but again I am no judge or expert. It looks like a very nice bike and you should do well.
                          Last edited by D.A.Bagin; 10-02-2013, 11:31 AM.
                          D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

very nice bike, I am with DA on the paint scheme, all 68's I have owned and seen have the flat black tank panel, yours looks like a 67 however, but I am no judge or expert either. But you really have a very nice looking bike, just get it judged and you will know where to go from there, good luck, see you there, Larry

Comment

Sorry, I guess I fat fingered it. The bike is a "67"
                              I am so looking forward to the event. 100% correct or not for my first event
                              doesn't really bother me. I'll chalk it all up to learning, and having fun while doing it.
                              Here it is bagged up and ready for Friday http://imgur.com/a/URvAr

Comment

Working...
                              X