Bob Luland's 22JD Prodject

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Luland's 22JD Prodject

Good afternoon Gentlemen (and Ladies if Denise tunes in?), Well with this new category, I decided to get my 22JD project back on line. This also has to do with one 1922 loop frame being delivered today. After four years almost to the date. I have searched for what I call the holy grail. A frame for my baby, I won it on Fleese-Bay from Australia three weeks ago and did everything I could not to fall into the same nightmare Dewey was forced to endure. Let me tell ya. When the USPS says air mail, they mean it. Frame went from down under to LAX in one hop, was released out of customs Sunday morning the 22nd and was ready for pick up in Hoboken at 7:00am the 23rd on the other end of the USA. It’s back where it belongs but with a very sad tale to tell. If you look at the picture of the rear lower motor mount. You will see a piece of the engine case still attached. Whoever did the damage to this frame, did it with a sledge hammer. The engine was beat out of the frame, most likely for aluminum scrape. So in the end my work is cut out for me. The upper motor mount tube has to be replaced. I think I will do it in two pieces to avoid having to disassemble the whole frame. All the rivet studs in the rear axle carriers also have to be replaced. But tomorrows task will be to locate a 2’X5’X1” steel plate to fabricate a frame table. This is going to be a lot of work but it’s fun work! No stress here. I feel like a kid in a candy shop right now.
    Bob L
    Attached Files
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

And then there's more.
    Attached Files
    AMCA #3149

Comment

I'm glad you got a frame Bob, and I think the frame you got was destined to go to someone like you, that can take it back from it's long sleep. My 1916 J frame was pretty nasty too, but I have to say that the challenge was enjoyable, and I always feel good when I can rescue something that somehow survived the smelter. I envy the guys that find these perfect frames, but they miss out on the bond you make with a frame that has to be beat, ground, brazed, and finessed. I really think that is what gives your bike it's heart. . . . I'm getting kinda' misty eyed.

By the way, I hope you go to Denton in '14. I think I'm going to make an effort to camp there, and bring 1, or 2 bikes. I think you will like that meet, and the people that put it on.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
        I'm glad you got a frame Bob, and I think the frame you got was destined to go to someone like you, that can take it back from it's long sleep. My 1916 J frame was pretty nasty too, but I have to say that the challenge was enjoyable, and I always feel good when I can rescue something that somehow survived the smelter. I envy the guys that find these perfect frames, but they miss out on the bond you make with a frame that has to be beat, ground, brazed, and finessed. I really think that is what gives your bike it's heart. . . . I'm getting kinda' misty eyed.

By the way, I hope you go to Denton in '14. I think I'm going to make an effort to camp there, and bring 1, or 2 bikes. I think you will like that meet, and the people that put it on.
        Exactly Eric, there is nothing more satisfying that taking what some people say is junk or not salvageable and giving it a new lease on life. It's a lot more work, but I think it's a lot more satisfying. Good luck on the build Bob, it looks like a great one.
        Al Cournoyer
        1942 WLA Boober
        1928 JDL Super Sport In progress
        Member #23154

Comment

Right on Bob! I look forward to watching you work the magic!
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Bob

Not to pop your bubble, does your frame have a steering neck reinforcement plate , should it? By 1922 I think it should have the plate that wraps around the lower gusset of the steering head?

joe

Comment

Joe
              That reinforcement was started in 1920 and ran thru 1924 frames.
              Mark

Originally posted by Slojo View Post
              Bob

Not to pop your bubble, does your frame have a steering neck reinforcement plate , should it? By 1922 I think it should have the plate that wraps around the lower gusset of the steering head?

joe
              Mark Masa
              www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Bob,
                Best wishes on a trouble free assembly. I hope you enjoy the process of the restoration and always make sure to document, document, document. What you know should be preserved for future generations to attempt to replicate. What a trip either way. You are forced into learning all about your little pieces parts. I look forward to your updates.
                Denise

Comment

Good luck with the build Bob. I will be following each step with great interest.
                  Bob
                  '' The hurrier I go, the behinder I get ''

Comment

Bob, would this work for your table? http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001EUvsY...cvex-Vbpo9HA== Bob
                    Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Bob, because of the slot nut tracks. That would make a great frame table. It would make a great mock up table for just about anything. Just two problems. 1. They want $700 claims. 2. That thing probably weighs in at about a 1000lbs. It would cost me easy $500 clams to ship it. Thanks for keeping me in your sights though. Bob L
                      AMCA #3149

Comment

Looks like a business deduction to me Bob, this would work good as a table to bend sheet metal, wouldn't it?? Just swing by Cleveland from Jersey on your way to Jefferson and pick it up yourself! In all seriousness, this company is great to deal with and very helpful in arranging shipments. I have dealt with them numerous times. Good luck and looking forward to seeing your project. Bob
                        Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Started on the frame today.

Well I finally got some time to dive into the frame. The first line of business today was to strip the axle carries of rotted studs, a broken screw in one of the fender mounts and a broken tap in the axle adjusting screw hole. The 7/16X1/2” (6 In total) studs had a #6 hole drill into them at the factory to aid in centering the orbital riveter which flattened them on the inside of the axle carrier so they wouldn’t come out when you went to loosen the nut on the other side. Obviously this was done before the frame was put together as Mark Masa pointed out to me. So before ya attempt to unscrew these puppies, you got to get the ridge off first. Stated out with a 3/8 counter sink and worked up to a ½ carbide ball just deep enough without cutting into the thread. Then I just tapped the side with a center punch and the lips just popped off. I tried the old Vise-Grip with a mallet which got a couple out but the other four had a different idea. Look at it this way. If you had been stuck in a hole for 90 plus years, you wouldn’t come out ether. So onto plan B. 1/2” nut welded to stud and the impack took’em right out. Chased the threads and all is good and yes it’s a special thread. ½-18, this is one of the reasons I haven’t touched the frame as I’ve been waiting for the tooling arsenal to show up in the mail. Drilled out the broken screw and chased that. Now for the one I’ve been procrastinating on, the broken tap. The area that the chain adjuster screw goes though amounts to nothing. The only thing going through my head was am I going to break the casting. In the tooling world you have cheap taps and real good taps, nothing in between. I had a hunch I was going to get lucky here and I did. Two good shots with a small center punch and the tap broke into a zillion pieces. I chased both chain adjuster holes but the threads are weak. The casting is too thin to drill for a Heli-Coil or Cert. So it looks like I’m going to plan C. I have to replace the two lower tubes any way. So it wouldn’t be a big deal to remove the axle carriers completely and weld them up, drill and retap. On Dewey’s advice I flipped the frame on its side to do the “Am I Screwed Test”. For the most part these frames rot from the inside out. I found this out real quick with the side car frame. I ended up replacing a good chunk of tube. Well I won. I took a center punch and gave a good shot in six different places on the bottom of the main tube and didn’t break though. So I’m just going to Tig up the pitting and put it to bed. That’s all for now until I build some kind of frame table. Any one got a 16”X60”X1” piece of plate in their living room they don’t need? Bob L

AMCA #3149

Comment

Great pictures Bob. I went through the same ordeal on my 1916 frame. For sentimental reasons I saved all the old studs and look at them as trophies.
                            Eric Smith
                            AMCA #886

Comment

Keep up the good work! and have fun!
                              Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Working...
                              X