Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why, why, why??!!!

Dear Kahuna:
    Sometimes I get so po'd at this site I wanna throw my laptop out the window!!
    Why, after I've typed a passionate 3-page reply to a thread, and hitting "submit reply" does the box come up that says, "your message is too short, must be lengthened to at least 10 characters", and then I'm left stranded with impossible recourse, except to RE-BOOT! .... as in boot this this thing out the window!!

Okay, calm now, .. is there an operator's manual for this forum? All my peers are idiots too, got nobody to to help, .. except you.

If I may add,

My wife's Vista-powered IE cannot deal with the site at all, unable to upload pics, etc. And takes forever to even open.
    One of my WIN98SE machines with Opera has no problems posting attachments, but never with a quote in the reply, nor able to edit a post in any way. (The 'save' button does nothing.)
    My old Gateway, however, broken in "Safe Mode" and an ancient IE, does great! No quote in the reply option, but at least it keeps me logged in.

So much for progress..., I'll take obsolete any day.

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-15-2013, 12:29 PM. Reason: Just checking.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Hi Fillibuster..
      When I was making posts on the frame restoration I had the same thing happen quite a few times.
      Bob Lulland suggested an alternative. Type you'r long reply in you'r PC (letter writing program) and then copy and paste it into the forum thread post after logging in.
      Steve Little
      Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
      Australia.
      AMCA member 1950

Comment

Filibuster
        I don't know the answer to your question, but I'll try to find out. I'm just supposed to try and keep you all from swearing at each other, and referee the occasional food fight. The smart guy's behind the curtain , next to the pipe organ.
        Steve's suggestion of typing your response in word or notepad is one I've seen on a few forums. I think it's probably a problem inherent in the type of software or system generally used for hosting sites like ours. I usually do it myself on longer posts. I've been bitten by the same snake you mention here. I'll ask and post what I can find
        Gary

Comment

Miss Rudolph

Said, come up with two live chickens one bottle of rum and something called yaro root, and she might be able to help.
          I'm waiting to hear from the CMU dude first
          Gary

Comment

Gary, that was too funny !

Comment

Hi Kahuna.
              While your asking them questions, can you ask them how much inactivaty or time can pass before the (time out) is activated.
              eg. We are signed in... walk away for a cuppa and come back to "Bumped off' state, due to inactivatey, and have to log back in to see the pretty pictures.
              My guess would be somewhere between 5 to 10 minutes, but it would be helpfull to know the program parrameters.

In and effort to understand the opperating program, can you also ask them the following.... when we hit the reply button, and we are furiously writing, deleting, reformating, thinking, and retyping at "Search and Peck" speed, are we in a void, or sepperate program while in the (little reply writing box).
              Or to better describe my question, does the forum program, no longer have a direct link to our activity, while we are in the "Reply box" and after said "inactivity time" the forum program, logs us out.
              Signed...an interested and enquiring mind.
              Steve Little
              Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
              Australia.
              AMCA member 1950

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Lovejoy View Post
                Gary, that was too funny !
                Agreed!

As far as the glitches go. I could relate some time ago to these problems. Now it seems I can walk away for an hour or more and my finished post will still appear without hassles. Maybe it's just a lucky streak?
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                  Agreed!

As far as the glitches go. I could relate some time ago to these problems. Now it seems I can walk away for an hour or more and my finished post will still appear without hassles. Maybe it's just a lucky streak?
                  "Reply with quote" seems to work better for me, then "reply" to send after typing.
                  I once had petitioned Kval to come to Fremont meet to host a tech session. Times changed. I still think a tech session on web site use is worth considering.

Comment

I found a couple of things so far. From what I've read the consensus is that the problem tends to be with the web browser. If it's Windows and Internet Explorer you can clear the cache and make sure Java scripts are correct and the latest revision level. This is getting as near to speaking Greek for me as possible. I'm including a link to the site where other people are having the same problem.

Does anyone elses computer freeze when hitting the submit button

Fremont Huh? I could bring my fishing rod and a laptop

Till then this utube thingy may help

Comment

Originally posted by WebKahuna View Post
                      This is getting as near to speaking Greek for me as possible.
                      ... I think you mean "speaking Geek"
                      Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Little View Post
                        Hi Kahuna.
                        While your asking them questions, can you ask them how much inactivaty or time can pass before the (time out) is activated.
                        eg. We are signed in... walk away for a cuppa and come back to "Bumped off' state, due to inactivatey, and have to log back in to see the pretty pictures.
                        My guess would be somewhere between 5 to 10 minutes, but it would be helpfull to know the program parrameters.

In and effort to understand the opperating program, can you also ask them the following.... when we hit the reply button, and we are furiously writing, deleting, reformating, thinking, and retyping at "Search and Peck" speed, are we in a void, or sepperate program while in the (little reply writing box).
                        Or to better describe my question, does the forum program, no longer have a direct link to our activity, while we are in the "Reply box" and after said "inactivity time" the forum program, logs us out.
                        Signed...an interested and enquiring mind.

Steve..... I can leave mine for hours and no change. I just hit refresh and any new postings since I've been away comes up.

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
                          ... I think you mean "speaking Geek"
                          Yup, That too

Comment

We got some answers

I hope they help. I'm attaching the email text, rather than me bunging it up by trying to translate, (My GEEK to American Dictionary got burned in the flood)

Below the line is the reply (Bold Italics are mine)

I know that doesn't explain why Cottens older pc doesn't have a problem, But it's all we got so far. Maybe someone out there with a Web TV has the site running like a %$$ed Ape...?

*3 If you turn off the auto logoff it leaves the site open if someone uses a public PC access and forgets to logoff, So that's not a good idea.

And Yes the people at the wheel are looking at changing options to make it better if possible

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________________

As for the questions, I got into the forum options to look up the settings for the items in question.

1. minimum size post: 10 chars
                            2. max size post: 10000 chars
                            3. auto logout after inactivity: 30 mins

Another item of note is that anything IE8 or older is no longer supported. People using those browsers can expect difficulties.

Other details are in the screen shots below.

Last edited by WebKahuna; 09-17-2013, 04:30 PM.

Comment

As "WebKahuna" Gary notes above, the settings on the forum seem to allow for reasonable posts--anywhere from 10 to 10,000 characters. That certainly doesn't explain some of the problems described, but at least the settings seem to be right.

One thing we might consider is changing the time until we're automatically logged off. As indicated above, the developers recommend against setting this too long, just in case you log in on a public computer at a hotel or library, then forget to log out, which would allow the next guy to use your account. It's hardly like you're doing online banking here, but someone could conceivably mess with your account settings.

Balanced against that is the annoyance of having to log back in when you leave the computer for a half-hour.

So what do you think? Would you like to see this setting longer? Would an hour or two work? Or would you rather preserve a (somewhat) higher level of security by keeping it to a half-hour?

Bill Wood

Comment

Working...
                              X