1912 HD Belt Twin (AKA EVIL TWIN)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1912 HD Belt Twin (AKA EVIL TWIN)

For the past year or so I have been chasing parts and preparing frame components for another Cannonball bike build. Now, with 360 days left prior to the start of this historical event I have decided its time to get serious. Twelve hours in the barn yesterday has left me one step closer to having a complete frame to start building on.

Today's activities, taking care of a customer, visiting a couple friend followed up by a seven o'clock appointment with Razor my welder to put frame parts together in preparation for the final sweat braze process.

I have chosen to build a new bike and retire the 1914 Gray Ghost from further cannonball activities. 1912 why? Its older than the Anvil, Brad's 1913 X and in my opinion its as old as reasonably possible to make this event with 12000 foot elevations. I believe I am pushing the envelope.

Primary components, this bike will wear an original front frame section (seat post forward) and a fabricated rear frame section (the original tail was badly damaged). Original 1912 fork, handlebars, fenders, engine cases, cylinders, Freewheel clutch drum and cover plate, Schebler carburetor, Bosh magneto. Many of the little items will be original also.

Significant fabrications will include motor internals, flywheels, rods and shafts for the lower end, intake manifold and mounting hardware for the top end. Fuel tanks, undecided as of this time. After much consideration my hypothesis is COASTER BRAKE HUBS should be able to do the job and will be faithfully remanufactured in my shop with special attention to the coaster brake assembly (a science experiment)

Modern purchased items will be pistons and valves and rims and tires for safety and handling (FUN).

Intention, other than the rims and tires is to make this 1912 belt drive twin authentic on the outside by using as many original parts as possible to give creditability to 1912.. Meanwhile look for as much power as possible from this primitive motor to make the 12000 foot elevations possible and,,,, out run the Wolf Pack. Mark and his 2012 neutered canine will come to Cannonball 2014 better prepared aiming for the Ghost meanwhile I have chosen to change bikes to a more primitive package. A two year older bike will make a big difference in performance and durability, this will be a real challenge.

Parts wanted, I am looking for anything flat tank HD to assist me in this build or for trade material. Clutch lever and control rod, Belt tensioner parts, Rear stand, pedal crank assembly, eccentric, profile rims 21 X 1.6, 36 spoke front rim.......

joe

I move we take up a collection, so's we can place your in-house "scribe" with you full-time (you game, Cory?).

Comment

Point, shoot, and upload. We wanna see!
      Steve Little
      Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
      Australia.
      AMCA member 1950

Comment

Right on Joe, can't wait. I want to see an American belt drive make it. If anybody can, you can - right on !

Comment

Mmm.... why move ahead when you can go back further in time. That is awesome Joe!

Phil... bad time of the year to leave the mountains... gotta get ready for the deep snow! A lesson on my favorite flat tanker would be awesome though!
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Hats Off To Coaster Joe !

002 1912 HD 8B single belt laft side.jpg003 1914 HD Single.jpg

Joe;
            My hat is also off to you on this endeavor. I ride my 12 HD single belt drive and 14 chain drive (above) alot but just do not have the "oo's" to attempt such cross country with coaster brakes. Pretty steep grades out there to come down? The older we get the less we want to skuff ourselves on the asphalt. Kind of takes the fun out of a well planned trip.

I would be glad to check my modest teens parts pile for you and also can talk to you about belt construction, durability and a good source for new belts. Take some spare belt pulley lagging and a couple extra belts for good measure. WalMart and NAPA just don't have em!
            (A few tubes of Preparation H can also be donated as well?

Contact me via email below and we can share phone numbers and go from there.

All The Best
            Steve Klein
            Collector . Conservator . Enthusiast
            American Pre-teens - 1965
            AMCA Member 12176
            Cherokee Chapter President, Editor
            www.CherokeeAMCA.org
            Steve@SteveKlein.com
            Georgetown, TX USA

Comment

Originally posted by Slojo View Post
              For the past year or so I have been chasing parts and preparing frame components for another Cannonball bike build. Now, with 360 days left prior to the start of this historical event I have decided its time to get serious. Twelve hours in the barn yesterday has left me one step closer to having a complete frame to start building on.

I have chosen to build a new bike and retire the 1914 Gray Ghost from further cannonball activities. 1912 why? I have chosen to change bikes to a more primitive package. A two year older bike will make a big difference in performance

joe
              with this official announcement we will now change your moniker to SLOERJO
              rob ronky #10507
              www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

"talk to you about belt construction, durability and a good source for new belts."

Steve....If you could share some of that information on the " Pre 16 thread " I know a number of people, myself included,
                who are doing belt drive singles, that would love such information......Respectfully Rod

Comment

Originally posted by rwm View Post
                  with this official announcement we will now change your moniker to SLOERJO
                  Rob

I will do what is necessary to produce like power out of the 12 as the 14, it won't be easy . Don't count me out yet !

joe
                  Last edited by Slojo; 09-13-2013, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Lonnie required team names for the 2010 Cannonball and a name developed innocently out of conversation on this web site, The 1914 "Gray Ghost". After some thought on the subject I would like to name the 14's stable mate as The 1912 "Evil Twin" (play on words). With performance aspirations, keeping up with the big boys of Cannonball 2014 it will have to be one mean little twin !

The early Harley twins (11 Double and 12 Twin) are week mechanically in the gear chest, have approximately 30% less port area joining the intake pocket and do not benefit from a timed breather using a week poppet valve instead. This twin will be using original 1912 small port cylinder and cases. Yes it will be a twelve motor and chassis not an imposter. Years 1911, 12, 13, 14, 15 twins are all different from each other. Deviations are obvious when one studies them, the differences are significant in the cases, a little less obvious for the cylinders .

Following the trip to the welder's a couple nights ago I have cleaned up those welds, started machining flywheels, reworking frame parts to convert chain drive pedal hanger bottom brackets into belt drive pedal hanger bottom brackets and made a trip to the welder supply picking up several varieties of silver braze and other supporting products. OUCH ! $450 later I was out the door much lighter than when I went in, silver is expensive.

Steve

Much thought pertaining to final belt drive and coaster brakes has been churning in my mind (details later). My first cannonball bike build article states that anyone attempting to run a Harley with coaster brakes across country has a death wish (or something like that). With enough work it is my belief that the coaster will make it without issues if built properly (and modified internally).

joe
                    Last edited by Slojo; 09-13-2013, 11:10 PM.

Comment

I'm gettin' jittery already... we needed another "epic" build on this forum!
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

It has been said a good deal is had when both parties involved in negotiations are happy at the end of the deal.

Yesterday Cory (my partner in crime) and I entered into negotiations, Cory to post photos, me, focus on building the Evil Twin and the verbal stuff. Team work. I am pleased to announce our great deal. By way of the art of persuasion Cory is on board again and he came at a bargain price N/C.

Thank you Cory now lets get to work.

joe

Comment

Yes folks... the negotiations were grueling but we finally met in the middle.... or is that slightly off to one side? It's looking like I have the easy job. I'm looking forward to getting to know this "Evil Twin"!
                          Cory Othen
                          Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                            Yes folks... the negotiations were grueling but we finally met in the middle.... or is that slightly off to one side?
                            Cory
                            To Funny, yes the negotiations were grueling.

Today was consumed by Flying Iron. Flywheels and chips, two sets of flywheels are being prepared from raw castings (always have another project up my sleeve). Cory has photos of past processes of the rear frame construction that have yet to be documented. Many early photos have been lost is space due to a button error on my part.

If the weather holds up the Ghost will be out for a haunt tomorrow in Stockbridge. This is an annual local bike event which brings in a large number of bikes for "All clubs Day". It should be called not all clubs day as the greazzziest of clubs are not invited.

joe

Comment

As soon as I saw the first post I was hoping it would be an anchor for many to come similar to the past. Thanks so much for the effort. Performing all the work for the project in an agressive time frame is one thing, taking the time to document it all for the audience is another project in itself. I will be tuned in for sure! Thanks in advance to both of you.
                              Note:Thread already hit 449 views and its barely out of the gate.
                              Last edited by Skirted; 09-15-2013, 06:42 AM.
                              Jason Zerbini
                              Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
                              Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X