9-7-28 Allegheny Mountain Chapter Run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9-7-28 Allegheny Mountain Chapter Run

The AMC chapter events have been blessed with nice weather all year and this one was no exception. Considering how much rain the area has had all summer thats saying something. Started early AM in high 40s but the sun quickly warmed to perfect riding temps for riders and the old bikes.

Rich Spagnolli was able to coordinate a last minute change of plan when he learned an old time steam show/festival we were going to attend did not have room for us. So instead we visited an elderly gentlemans (87 y/o) garage who had about 14 Indians back to 1911. I did not think to ask his permission to use his name here so out of respect for his privacy I will not. His father was an Indian dealer and at age 16 he started riding, wrenching, and collecting them and never stopped. Of course he aquired these bikes when they were still dirt cheap compared to today. Equally as impressive as the bikes were the parts he has accumulated over the years. Then if thats not enough he had a binder full of various original Hendee and Indian documents from his fathers business dating back to the early and mid teens and later.

Visiting this humble Indian enthusiast was an experience those there will not soon forget. For me this was better than Christmas as a kid and want to thank the owner again for being a great host. He told stories and gave history lessons to the "class" on various bikes starting with the 1911 Twin which proudly displayed its original seat and a spark plug. We all had time to thoroughly talk with the owner and look at his collection. He also had some other unusual vehicles as you will see in the pics.

The pictures are in no particular order but you will know which ones are from the garage visit. Thanks to John Ritter for getting the only two action shots on this run. Hopefully I got the years and info right on the titles. Wish I'd have taken better notes. Just too much to take in on one visit.

Photobucket Pics
    http://s1064.photobucket.com/user/ma...3%20Road%20Run

Photobucket Slidshow
    http://s1064.photobucket.com/user/ma...3%20Road%20Run
    Jason Zerbini
    Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
    Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg
    Nice job Jason,here are some parking lot pics I have.

Comment

007.jpg008.jpg009.jpg010.jpg

Comment

033.jpg034.jpg012.jpg013.jpg

Comment

Man... you folks have your share of runs in PA eh? That's awesome! You've really gotten into the spirit of the old bike thing Jason. Thank-you kindly for your great reports and photos!

Great "parking lot" pics too... thanks 55tmm.
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
            Man... you folks have your share of runs in PA eh? That's awesome! You've really gotten into the spirit of the old bike thing Jason. Thank-you kindly for your great reports and photos!
            Great "parking lot" pics too... thanks 55tmm.
            Yes! thanks for the extra pics Todd!......Jonny on the spot as usual.

Cory,
            Yea there was even a couple runs that didn't get publicized. We have one more 2nd week of Oct. I enjoy pics others post so try to return the favor. When I was in the process of buying the Chief last year I knew no one who had an antique bike nor had I seen an antique bike out on the road locally. My wife and I did not expect to find out there was a solid core group of great people local to us as part of the AMC chapter that keeps the emphasis on "riding" the bikes. It always helps to have others around to provide support to each other and keep the enthusiasm up and that unexpectedly has turned out to be as valued as the Chief itself. Of course my first post here started the whole chain reaction.
            Jason Zerbini
            Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
            Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Working...
            X