New to me 1967 Electra Glide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to me 1967 Electra Glide

Hey Folks, Just bought a new to me 1967 Electra Glide Shovel head. Mostly stock with an S&S Super E carb. I've done some of the new owner maint tasks; oil, filter, plugs, points, timing. First riding impression, The bike is happy at 60MPH, tolerates with considerable vibration at 65 HPH, and not happy at all at 70 MPH. Question: Is that normal? Do these symptoms point to something wrong? At what speed should I be able to comfortably cruise on this 45 year old bike? Thanks, John H. P.S. Tried to upload a 600K photo via the attachment manager, but it didn't seem to work.

Hey John welcome to the group. I don't know your experience with the older H.D.'s but they will vibrate, some more than others and at different rpm's. A little buzz through the hands and feet kinda traveling around on the footboards at the worst point of vibration in my opinion is probably normal. If the mirrors are spinning and hands and feet itch like crazy after a ride then something is not right.
    Loose motor mounts are the 1st. thing to look for, especially the top mt. Then stretched primary and rear drive chains next. The chains sometimes get a tight spot in them and will be loose then tight as they go around, that will send send shock waves through the bike. Also sludge & crud can settle in the clutch basket after sitting for a long period and throw it out of balance. That's all pretty easy to check and repair, but the flywheels can get the same sludge build up on one spot and there's no way I know to clean it without pulling the flywheels out. There are other possibilities like bent shafts ect. but hope it's just a loose bolt.
    Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

Kerry, Thanks a million for the pointers. The mirrors are spinning at 60 MPH, so it sounds like I should start checking some things out. I'll go through your list this weekend and report back.

Comment

You will want to check your tires out as well. Recommended tire pressure is 12 psi in the front, and 18 psi for the rear. That can vary with tire manufactures, and what your bike wants, but tire pressure is the easiet adjustment to make. You should also pay close attention to the condition of your tires, and maybe have your wheels statically balanced. Over inflation can rattle your teeth out.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Jheck10

These bikes were notorious for the top motor mount to break.They usually break where it bolts to the frame. You will need to remove the tanks to get a good look at it. If it does need replaced, bolt to the heads first, then add shims (washers) between the frame and the mount. Do not just pull them together with the bolt.
          Rousseau#11302

Comment

Jheck, my 7000 mile 68 will ride pretty nice well into the 70 plus mph as far as vibration goes. However, on a high speed downhill decelerating turn, the uneasy feeling of the beginning of a speed wobble will scare the heck outa you. Be careful out there. I am running original balanced NOS goodyear tires.
            D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

I have a 70 Electra glide and my bike is just like you said! It will tolerate 65 mph but does not like 70 mph for long! The engine is wound out at 70mph. You may be able to change the motor and tranny sprockets to get a little higher speed out of it, but you are limited with a drum rear brake sprocket.
              Also use a name brand, newer design tire (like Dunlop, Michelin, or Metzger), not an old tread design. (This helps not to go into a high speed wobble)
              Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
              X