/2 BMW saddle bag brackets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• /2 BMW saddle bag brackets

I just bought a fairly decent set of tear drop saddle bags for my '64 R69S. The seller, however, could not find the mounting brackets. Does anyone have a suggestion of where I might find brackets for these bags? I have Buco bags on the bike now, but these look like they belong on a '60s /2.
    George Tinkham
    Springfield, IL
    www.virmc.com
    AMCA # 1494
    1941 Indian 841
    1948 Indian Chief
    1956 H-D KHK
    1960 CH
    1964 BMW R69S
    1966 Honda Touring Benly (aka "150 Dream")
    1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

George,
    What do you mean by "teardrop" as that does not define anything. Brand, picture, ??
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
      George,
      What do you mean by "teardrop" as that does not define anything. Brand, picture, ??
      This is what I think he means https://picasaweb.google.com/ogdenjf...47774707779442

Cheers
      Steve
      1914 P&M
      1915 Indian (project)
      1930 M50 Panther
      1958 M35sport Panther

Comment

Those are "Enduro" bags, I have a pair on my '55 R69.

Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Yes I know they are Enduro bags but I have also had them referred to as "tear drops".

To further answer the original question I seem to recall some years back a supplier (maybe Bob's BMW) having these Enduro bags in their catalogue. Maybe they could supply the brackets seperately.

I know they had clamps around the shock towers, if this was all I would think they would be fairly easy to make. Rubone, is there anything else holding yours on ?

Steve
          1914 P&M
          1915 Indian (project)
          1930 M50 Panther
          1958 M35sport Panther

Comment

There are not clamps on the shock towers. There is a flat plate bolted on where the fender mounts, a clamp affair on the upper frame stay (conveniently shaped to clear the tire pump), a large platform type mount with an elongated arm that bolts to the frame where the muffler and passenger peg mounts are, and all of the mounts use Dzus type fasteners. The reproductions use different mounts, and there are some repops with mounts that are junk.
            There are also two sizes of the originals.
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I think it may have been Blue Moon that I remember having these however a quick check on their website doesn't show anything up.
              1914 P&M
              1915 Indian (project)
              1930 M50 Panther
              1958 M35sport Panther

Comment

Thank you for the suggestions. I shall contact parts suppliers like Blue Moon and Bench Mark to see what they have. The lady that sold the enduro bags to me will go through the parts from her late husband's R69S later this year to see what else is there. There is a chance that those brackets might still be there. I told her that I would be glad to have whatever she has. I have learned from experience that old vehicles require a storehouse of old parts.

The reason all that is left of her late husband's R69S is a few parts is that he gave the bike to a neighbor so the engine could be used for a kit airplane!
                George Tinkham
                Springfield, IL
                www.virmc.com
                AMCA # 1494
                1941 Indian 841
                1948 Indian Chief
                1956 H-D KHK
                1960 CH
                1964 BMW R69S
                1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Howdy George,

Twenty years ago I bought a set of Enduros from Blue Moon without one lid and no brackets; found a lid but had to make my own brackets......then, abot 7 yesrs I discovered a chap who owned a high end boat repair place out in the Northwest who had started repop'g these bags, contacted him and he not only sold me a complete mounting kit but the tabs and rivets to go inside my bags. That is likely where the aforementioned venders are sourcing these and it may be worth pursuing on more /2 focused forums to get his contact info if this doesn't pan out with Vech or BM.

Here's mine. How bout that CD based magneto conversion with alternator, pretty groovy, eh?

Update: Just found my notes from purchase and it was www.luxormarine.com which is no longer a valid URL.
                  Last edited by PRG; 08-16-2013, 04:06 PM.
                  Cheerio,
                  Peter
                  1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

A sheet metal worker in my club (Vintage Iron Riders) is fabricating brackets. He is having trouble finding fastener receptacles. Benchmark suggested I try Aircraft Spruce for cowling fasteners. We are ordering some in different sizes to see what fits.
                    Here is their URL: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ha/fast.html

If anyone has an idea of how to reach Luxor Marine, please let me know. I did an Internet search and found a telephone # that does not work. Their website appears to a marketing tool for various boat builders / suppliers.
                    George Tinkham
                    Springfield, IL
                    www.virmc.com
                    AMCA # 1494
                    1941 Indian 841
                    1948 Indian Chief
                    1956 H-D KHK
                    1960 CH
                    1964 BMW R69S
                    1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Kevin Brooks wrote to me that he sells his mounting bracket set for $150, including shipping for anywhere in the U.S.
                      See: http://www.brooksmotorworks.com/Prod...addlebagmounts
                      George Tinkham
                      Springfield, IL
                      www.virmc.com
                      AMCA # 1494
                      1941 Indian 841
                      1948 Indian Chief
                      1956 H-D KHK
                      1960 CH
                      1964 BMW R69S
                      1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp

Comment

Working...
                      X