56KH Cam Cover Breather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 56KH Cam Cover Breather

My question pertains to the cam cover breather/generator set-up. This is for a 56KH. The parts book shows a spring behind what looks like a bushing in the cam cover. The one I have has no spring and the bushing is flush with the inside of the cover. Is this bushing to float in the cover and lightly contact the generator breather gear similar to a flathead? If so, what is the spacing distance the breather is to be from the cam cover mounting surface? Any help and diagrams, if avaliable, would be helpfull.

Thanks,
    Highlander

Yes, similar to 45. There is a pressed top-hat brass sleeve (with hole down centre) 25625-52 which should have a spring behind it 25287-37 to keep it in light contact with the oil slinger on the end of the generator. The generator armature needs shimming so that the oil slinger is the correct distance from the face of the generator, again similar to 45.

It sounds like your your sleeve is there but without spring, unless it's all jammed-up. The spring is the same as a 45 and still available. The distance for shimming is about 47mm. I measured from the outer face of the gearcase to the face of the slinger fully extended and added 1mm. It couldn't be much more otherwise the brushes would be on the edge of the commutator, so it's got to be about right.

Good Luck! John

Comment

Been out of the circuit for a bit, so just now checking thread. I think the unit is jammed up with no spring behind, as I can see down behind the top hat sleeve. Will check the distances you stated, procure a spring and unjam the jam. Thanks for the reply John.

Highlander

Comment

Working...
      X