Dean Salmans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dean Salmans

Saw this on the Henderson site, thought we should post it here too. Dean was a very nice guy, very knowledgeable and helpful. He helped many people with their machines, either parts or info. Mainly Henderson's and Excelsoirs, many machines are together again because of his assistance, Including my Deluxe. He was a good guy who had many stories of the good ol days and the machines we love.
    When I meet him about 20 some years ago, he had a three car garage with selves full of Henderson and Excelsoir parts. All in neat order by part numbers! parts all the way back to 1912!!and several baskit cases. He helped alot of people out with those parts and his knowledge of the machines. He told me of his high school days, where he had a worn out old KJ :-) He served in the Marines in WW2 and saw action in the Pacific. He was 89 when he passed last week, we have lost another good one!

I never met Dean Salmans but talked to him on the phone many times. He helped me with my KJ, and some Excelsior stuff. He was one of the friendliest Hen/Ex people I had talked with when I was trying to learn about the Chicago brand. 25 years ago, you had to communicate with people directly and that is how many of us got to know each other. It's heartbreaking to see so many of these real gentlemen leaving us. My deepest condolences to Mr. Salmans' family and friends. Thanks for the nice words Tom.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks for posting this Tom. I knew Dean well. My friend Steve and I bought a couple of basket Super X's from Dean that he had found in Texas in 1984. His stash of parts came from the Triangle Motors stash and were the foundation for the business he and his partner Faber started in the early eighties. He had sold most of it a couple of years ago but had Steve from Washington restore him one KJ henderson and one Super-X. I hope his son keeps these. Through him I built three Super X's that will not be landfill and will be around for future motorcycles to enjoy. He helped build the Heath kit airplane that is in the San Diego motorcycle museum. He got to watch it fly before they put it on static display. He was a pilot himself and earned his wings way back soloing in a Curtiss Jenny with a Curtiss OX-5 motor. His first bike was an old beater J model at about the same time. I shall miss him. Rest in peace old friend.
      DrSprocket

Comment

Working...
      X