primary 0n 1983 flh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• primary 0n 1983 flh

on my 83 the person before me pluged off the chain oil lines to the primary i have it apart should i reconnect them to the oil pump or should i just leave them pluged off? does it matter if thier pluged off ? thanks

If the lines are plugged off, the primary case must be running it's own chain oil. A somewhat common modification for Shovels that keeps clutch debris out of the engine oil. I never bothered with the mod, but my brother changed both of his Shovels. He reads a lot of bike magazines.

VPH-D

Comment

That mod brings the design closer to modern HDs.The original setup allowed chain debrie to get into the return to tank pump gears ,shearing the key and then the crankcase fills up with oil and overpressures [Kerblewey] .Use only a small amount of oil in this setup if running the original dry clutch.The original system only had about 1/4 cup[enough to oil chain only]--above that level it sucked it back into the motor to return to tank.I do this mod to all but original paint bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
        That mod brings the design closer to modern HDs.The original setup allowed chain debrie to get into the return to tank pump gears ,shearing the key and then the crankcase fills up with oil and overpressures [Kerblewey] .Use only a small amount of oil in this setup if running the original dry clutch.The original system only had about 1/4 cup[enough to oil chain only]--above that level it sucked it back into the motor to return to tank.I do this mod to all but original paint bikes.
        Don't forget to vent the chain case. I use the origional drip fitting as a vent and run a hose upwards (to keep oil from being pushed out) and then pointed down to help keep out moisture.
        Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

thanks for all the great hints my 83 is all origional can i shortin the lines a little they are about 8 inchs long?

Comment

Working...
          X