Kick Starter grinds when returning to position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kick Starter grinds when returning to position

My kick starter is grinding when it returns, I have to grab it with my hand and pull it up hard and fast.
    I replaced the return spring and also the spring that pushes out the gear.
    It looks like they are lining up ok.
    Anybody out there had this issue?
    Thanks
    Rick Cioppa
    210-382-4258

Rick, I had some ideas - but I called Johnny Eagles to git his thought's. Check and make sure the gear is oiled well, check the move ment of both together, kicker and gear - they should be smooth. sounds like their binding - to tight. Might loosen the motor/ and or tranny mounts. Try to push a bit the trans forward, or possibly both. engine and trans. You only need to move em alittle bit. 15 - 20 thous of an inch will make a big differnce. I would pop the plugs out, so it turns over easy. Then try it and keep trying while turning the engine over with your hand. A little move ment and give it a try, see if it's better. Should free it up, good luck - go Sport Scout!

Comment

Thanks Tom, I'll try it this weekend...

Comment

Tom you are thinking of a Chief. The Scout has the kicker support casting bolted to the rear of the trans, where it can be shimmed to fix any misalignment. I would start there.

Comment

Thanks Fabercycle, that's pretty bad for me. Cause I don't even have a Chief, never have - oh well :-) Sounds like shim's might work though as you said, good luck with it Rick.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Lovejoy View Post
            Thanks Fabercycle, that's pretty bad for me. Cause I don't even have a Chief, never have - oh well :-) Sounds like shim's might work though as you said, good luck with it Rick.
            "when it returns", .... I've always found that a lightweight grease coating on assembly will do more to alleviate this problem than any clearance issues. If you have clearance issues something is grossly out of whack.
            I sometimes wish that the driven gear had a lube hole drilled in it, so you could line it up with the hole in the chain guard and reach a narrow oil spout in there to oil the trans output shaft directly. Seems silly that it's not more accessible.

Comment

Working...
            X