rear drive pully

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear drive pully

i have a 1983 flh with a rear belt drive the belt is shot so iam replacing it how do you tell if the pully is still good ? Has 49 thousand on the bike.Do you measure the depth of the teeth if so how deep should they be? Thanks for all the help i can get

Howdy sailfish,

Not the depth of the teeth that's an issue, it's the loaded face on that tooth facing forward. If the tooth has a shiny well worn into it on the leading edge from the rounded belt tooth then the belt will shuffle with accel/decel. My 83 HD was a chain 5 speed FXR so don't know if the problem was fixed by then but my 81 Sturgis slung trans fluid out the sprocket driver sleeve before I fitted a super nut which acted as a grinding paste and ruined both sprockets and the belt before a change at 36k.

Obviously the front final drive sprocket with less teeth to bear the load is more critical than the rear.
    Last edited by PRG; 04-03-2013, 08:30 PM.
    Cheerio,
    Peter
    1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

thanks it does not look that bad it has 42k on it

Comment

super nut

what is a super nut i think i need one

Comment

Howdy sailfish,

On an iPad at the moment which doesn't have inline linking. So, pull up J&P cycle and search super nut or Jim's (as in the gasket people) super nut. This nut has a groove machined in its inner face where it abuts the sprocket for an o-ring and a double lip seal on its outer face which seals to trans mainshaft where trans oil leaks out between the sprocket driver bushing and the mainshaft. Especially when leaned on the side stand.
          Cheerio,
          Peter
          1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Working...
          X