No announcement yet.

Newby here, Confederate from Virginia.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newby here, Confederate from Virginia.

Figure my bike hit the 35 year mark so I joined up. This is my only one. Bought it some 15 years ago cause it was cheap. Friend of mine had it in his horse barn for 10 years. He had too many at that time. He handed me the Org. gas tank but it meant nothing to me. It would be 4 or 5 years later I stumbled on some internet pics and started learning what was up.
    Seems the MOCO made this bastard child and then clammed up about it. They did send me a letter all nice and typed up on their letter head that said something about my VIN is a real one.
    Loaded some pics in my profile to.
    Got her fixed up and rode this way for many years. Kick only up to about 4 years ago.

I'm getting old and fat so had to buy a button. Couple years ago on the blue ridge parkway

Sitting in my drive last summer

Attached Files
    77 HD Confederate Edition Super Glide
    Jeff Fleming

Ah ha! Now you've invaded my hangout, Rebel yell. I remember you saying something like that years ago when I signed up in Shovelhead.us/forum. Heh, heh. Paybacks.

This is the home of solid-gold restoration. Hang here for long, and your lockwashers will have to be the cad-plated ones as torqued-down on in York, and you'll be seeking brake fluid from sealed Harley-Davidson labeled cans. Not to mention that you'll be re-painting your tanks and fenders the most egg-zackt shade of Confederate grey that you can find.

It's our duty, after all, this generation's (ain't it?), to preserve and pass on as our legacy the most accurate representation of the development of Twentieth Century two-wheeled motor vehicles of bygone days, and there's no better time than the present, eh? Welcome to the gold side, Reb!
    Last edited by Sargehere; 03-12-2013, 12:01 PM.
    Gerry Lyons #607
    http://www.37ul.com/
    http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Thanks Sarge. Wondered if I scared some with the Confedy header. Figured y'all needed some of them fangdangled new model bikes over here.. I'm collecting stuff. Got my turn sigs, found a speedo/tach last summer and got the correct tank coming to the mountains... So I'm headed in the right direction.. Just taking me a long time. It's my only ride and she don't sit too much.. Congrats on getting TEX all back to the correct year, I think it was.. Hey you need to come to the mtn's and try my BBQ..
      Jeff.
      Last edited by 77HDFX; 03-12-2013, 04:56 PM.
      Jeff Fleming

Comment

Stinkin' shovelhead rider... and a bastard Confed-y at that... :insert smile:

Welcome aboard "Reb"! Glad to see you on here. I welcome the company of another "shovelheader".

(see you in the mountains... packing your "new" tank)

Comment

Hey Liz I ran across a pic of you with a Flat head, I think. You got one of them too.? We will have to talk about your stable of bikes in April. Thanks.
          Jeff Fleming

Comment

Has my memory faded, or were those Jimmy Carter SuperGlides single tank [FXE] models?
            VPH-D

Comment

VPH-D you are correct.
              My bike is far from stock. It should have buck horn handle bars with the speedo/tack mounted on them. It should have the "turtle" type tank. I keep collecting a piece here and there in hopes of one day.
              I did get the unmolested original tank with the bike when I bought it. (pic). It's rusty on the inside and I wanted to keep it org. so I'm not going to put it on, but keep it as a "trophy". I have managed to get it back looking somewhat like it is suppose to just to confuse the rednecks.
              The only thing that makes it a Confederate is paint and decals. It's a standard Super Glide FXE.

Here is when I repainted the bike. Used the org. tank to position the repop decals..I did not go with the org color either. I choose a more blue/gray as It did not matter since it was not a resto.

Last edited by 77HDFX; 03-13-2013, 09:09 AM. Reason: pic
              Jeff Fleming

Comment

Originally posted by liz View Post
                stinkin' shovelhead rider... And a bastard confed-y at that... :insert smile:

Welcome aboard "reb"! Glad to see you on here. I welcome the company of another "shovelheader".

(see you in the mountains... Packing your "new" tank)

troublehead !!

Comment

Hey Jeff,

I greeted you over on the other site too with a PM. Go by Waugh's in Orange VA and see Don's Confederate edition HD. He pulled it off the show room floor when they first came out and has it in mini museum. A good time to go would be when he has his Big Damn Bike show in June. Probably a 2-3 hour ride for you. It is on their web site. Some us from the Highlands chapter will be going. Hope to see you there.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
                  AMCA # 12766

Comment

Originally posted by fillibuster View Post
                    troublehead !!
                    "...Trouble ahead, trouble behind,
                    And you know that notion just crossed my mind.

Trouble ahead, lady in red,
                    Take my advice you'd be better off dead.

Switchman's sleeping, train hundred and two is
                    On the wrong track and headed for you!"

--"Casey Jones," The Grateful Dead

Ahhkk! That Shovel's almost thirty years old, now. They had their growin' pains when new, but any "troubles" have long since been worked out of your Confederate Edition, eh, Jeff?

I'm proud of you, that you're preserving both what the bike originally stands for and for weathering the storm of "political correctness" in this society; turnt upside-down within our lifetimes!
                    Gerry Lyons #607
                    http://www.37ul.com/
                    http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Rollo View Post
                      Hey Jeff,

I greeted you over on the other site too with a PM. Go by Waugh's in Orange VA and see Don's Confederate edition HD. He pulled it off the show room floor when they first came out and has it in mini museum. A good time to go would be when he has his Big Damn Bike show in June. Probably a 2-3 hour ride for you. It is on their web site. Some us from the Highlands chapter will be going. Hope to see you there.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
                      AMCA # 12766
                      That is on my list... I am wanting to go see it for sure. will try.. Would like to meet some from the local chapter too.
                      Jeff Fleming

Comment

Jeff,
                        I was pretty sure they only made XL and FXE models, but 77 was a long time ago. One of your photos shows your machine with the correct single 'rattler' disc, only the FXS and XLCR had dual discs in 77. Your FXE had the flatter -77 buckhorns, not the -74 style. Of course, you may already know this. Nice job on the feaux Confederate fat bobs.
                        VPH-D

Comment

You are sharper than a pencil. Yes the single disk is correct for my year/model.. It was on there when I bought it. It also had a 21" wheel and fender on there when I bought it.. I found a used front end with the correct fender and wheel but it had the dual disk. I personally like the look of the dual disc so I put it on there. I still have the single disk front.. I will need it again one day..
                          One thing you said I did not know. What are the flatter buckhorns verses the 74 style. Guess I need to see them side by side to know the difference. I have 2 or 3 buckhorn bars. Guess I need to find out what I got. They might be the wrong ones..
                          Last edited by 77HDFX; 03-14-2013, 06:02 PM.
                          Jeff Fleming

Comment

The -77 bars were 'flatter' than the -74 bars. IIRC, we were told the low rise bars were to conform to some requirement about seat to hand grip distance. I think the -77s were used thru 1980. The width of the -77s was about the same as -74s, but did not rise up as far as the earlier models, and the grips were more parallel to the centerline of the bike. Side by side, the low bars should should be easy to identify.
                            VPH-D

Comment

Cool been a member a couple days and learning new stuff. Thanks
                              Jeff Fleming

Comment

Working...
                              X