Mark Larsen - Passed away on AMCA Road Run 3/1/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Larsen - Passed away on AMCA Road Run 3/1/13

For my friends who have not seen my post on the Starklite Cycle page.
    Today (Friday March 1, 2013) at the AMCA Borrego Road Run - Mark C. Larsen was involved in a single vehicle motorcycle accident and died from his injuries.

friend mark Larsen was killed today in an accident while riding a 1948 Indian motorcycle. I'll post more later It was a single vehicle accident. It appears he lost control while going down hill. He was right behind me and we just finished taking photos a minute before the accident.

He was riding a friends 1948 Chief, because his was not running well that morning, We were riding down hill into the town of Borrego, we had just stopped at the overlook turnout so I could take some pictures of the three of us. We then started downhill with Jim in front, me recording with my GOPRO and Mark behind. After we made it downhill, and while we were riding, we didn't see Mark, so Jim went back after getting gas, and found the scene.
    A witness said he lost control, came off the bike and hit the stone retaining wall, and probably died instantly. A doctor in the club on the ride was on scene within minutes, and performed CPR for 15min until the paramedics arrived who continued for 45min then pronounced.
    I have the photos from four minutes prior to this in my digital camera, which I will post from home.

(Since I wrote the above on Friday - I've looked at my Helmet Camera video, and I can see in the video that Mark left the sidestand down. There are several right turns after the turnout, and then a sweeping left hand turn. Mark rode a '48 Chief with a front mounted sidestand, and the bike he was riding was a '46 with the sidestand back by the battery. Therefore he did not see it down when he took off)

Mark - Love ya buddy - We had a great time riding our Chiefs around Death Valley, and previous years at Borrego and around town, and our road trips to Davenport were always fun. Thank you for everything you have always helped me with.

I am so glad that on Thursday night I was able to take you up in My Cessna Cardinal for a Sunset flight over to the Salton Sea, after so many months of us not being able to get together for a flight. Mark was a person who would always help if you needed something. He volunteered to trailer my bike to the road runs, so I could fly and combine two fun hobbies in one weekend.

Godspeed Mark - Rest in Peace.
    Your friend always.
    Gary Stark

Very sorry to hear of the passing of a fellow AMCA member.

RIP Mark!!!

Comment

Sorry to hear about this. Is there an obit somewhere with family contacts and donations for in lieu of flowers?
      Bob Selph
      1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
      1940 Sport Scout
      AMCA#15215

Comment

Sorry for the loss of your friend, that is very sad news.
        1959 XLCH

Comment

It's always sad to hear of such incidents. May he rest in peace and all the best to his family and friends.
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Sadly mere words cannot do us justice when a dear friend and loved one passes so suddenly. I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend and my sincere condolences to his family.
            Bill Pedalino
            Huntington, New York
            AMCA 6755

Comment

This was the last photo I took on my trip to Borrego Springs 2013. On the Left is Jim Coe, myself, and on the Right is Mark Larsen. This photo was taken moments before we headed down the mountain where Mark was involved in a fatal crash on this 1946 Indian Chief.
              Godspeed Mark, everyone misses you!
              RIP

66901_578600405483553_1549083256_n.jpg

Gary Stark

Comment

God speed and my condolences to friends and family
                Denise

Comment

Sorry to hear of your friends passing. Glad you were able to spend the time with him and that I'm sure he was doing what he loved at the time of his loss. Condolences to his family.
                  77 HD Confederate Edition Super Glide
                  Jeff Fleming

Comment

Working...
                  X