Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello From Snowy CT

Hey guys!

I have a long time appreciation and passion for all things old. To me, old motorcycles are as much a form of transportation as a work of art. I like to tinker as much as ride but my two main rides need more attention than my abilities.

Does anyone know a good mechanic in the CT area? I have had my fill of guys who claim to know how to work on older motorcycles but fail. Currently I have a 56 servi car and 68 FLH that just need to be dialed in.

I appreciate any references.

Thanks.
    \'77 Sportster
    \'68 FLH
    \'61 Super 10
    \'56 Servicar
    \'59 Hummer

In areas where finding shops is hard... consider trying to find some mentors/assistants from AMCA. There are lots of guys out there who would gladly give up a Saturday to help a rider get his bike(s) running.

When I lived in Ma. and was working on my antique cars (before I did this professionally) I used to have "Come-Along" days at the garage. Nothing formal but I'd let club members know that on such-and-such a Saturday, we would be... doing a valve job. Or replacing wheel bearings. Sometimes I would do some instructing. Sometimes I'd have a friend who knew the job come over and 'lead' on something like wiring (which I hate and am bad at.) Everyone would pitch in or learn something. It was a good social event. And work, if not a lot, got done.

The idea of the 'come-along' Saturday was always something I tried to promote in the region. And today, we do week-long technical seminars (for cars) that are in the same spirit.

Anyway, CT is full of folks from AMCA. Dan Margolian, the Regional President, is in CT and is always looking for ideas for informal (or formal) meets, rides or events to keep the bikes rolling and the members involved. He does a great job supporting events, etc. He'es on the forum...

BTW, when we did these events... we deliberately limited what we did. So "Recommissioning" a bike after long storage... would be perfect. Tuning and lubricating and adjusting... also perfect. Changing tires with spoons and balancing/truing... would be perfect (learn roadside repair.) Taking an engine out and dismantling it... you'd regret it. Keep it simple. From what you described, your bikes would be great candidates for a day of attention.

Last bit of advice... keg does not get tapped until AFTER the tools are put away. Just 'sayin.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Working...
    X