9G-----J0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9G-----J0

I bought a 80 model shovel that #'s start with 9G. I haven't found that listed. Anyone know what that stands for?
    Kerry AMCA # 15911

IIRC, that would be an FXWG, Wide Glide.
    VPH-D

Comment

Thanks, a FXWG is good. I have the link saved to research that but as usual now it's not available anymore. A quick look and it needs the narrow glide and bars removed along with the seat and pipes. O-yea and the billet forward controls need to go and it should be close to stock when I replace them.
      Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

Kerry:

I have a dead-nuts stock original FXWG if you need pictures or references... 1980. The original. Flame paint and everything.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

the rear brake controls for your fxwg were 2 years only (80-81). very hard to find. I will try to attach a picture.
          Attached Files

Comment

So are you restoring it to stock?

When I got mine, it had a Mustang seat and a twisted spoke front wheel, no turn signals and straight pipes. Those were about the only 'non-stock' items. I left the straight pipes, simply because it's a simple fix and while I don't like loud bikes in general, that is just such an 'in your face' machine that I could not help myself. I have not put on the turn signals, but I have the full set ready to fit.

Front wheel, seat, original (accessory) stash pouch, lights etc. all came off eBay. The seat was no problem. NOS found in a few hours for cheap. Noone kept the original seats. Front wheel was the same. Found no problem. The stash pouch took 6 months, though. And was expensive! I think I still have a rear sissy bar (original HD accessory in package if you want it).

Lots of Wide Glides were broken up. And further customized, chopped, stolen and parted out (it was that era). And there are TONS of parts out there for them. Bike was a good seller. I'd check with some of the bigger breakers. Also if you try that big bike place in Pennsylvania. Motorcycle warehouse or similar. They have lots of parts and parts bikes. But eBay is going to be your best bet. Just check daily. The bits you need will come up. Let me know if you need pictures. I can take some of my bike or I have all the original magazines (road tests) from back in the day.

Of note... it was the FXWG that made me want a Harley as a kid. I was 17 and riding my crappy Honda $100 CL 175 and a rainstorm hit. Big gullywasher of a downpour. And I was waiting it out under a thick tamarack tree. This big shiny new FXWG with flame paint pulls in. Biker looking dude on it. I don't know anything about Harleys at this point, but I do know that my parents hate them and say they are bad news along with the people who ride them. So this guy pulls in and Asks (yes asks) if he can share my shelter. We spent about 15 minutes under there for the cloudburst to let up. I know we talked about something, but don't remember what because all I did was stare at that bike. It took me 6 years to get my first Harley (1976 XLCH Sportster, dead stock externally, I hotrodded the motor) and it took me 25 years to get an FXWG just like the one from under the tree. But I did! That rainstorm was the moment I was hooked on bikes in general and old bikes in particular. Expensive rainstorm...

BTW, compared to a modern Harley... those FXWG's ride like a pig. But by the standards of the day... magic carpet, baby. Magic carpet... Especially compared to the little MixMaster with wheels that I was riding at the time.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

My origional intent was to try and turn it and make a couple of easy bucks. Then I found it is a W.G. and got more interested right away. I doubt I will do a full restoration. Although it runs and shifts good this bike needs a lot of TLC. No deffinate plans yet but really want to restore the Ft. end and at least replace the foot controls even if I don't find the origional (had forgotten how they looked). Sirhr, I'm afraid to look at more pictures because I know they will influnce me to keep the bike and start from ground up re-doing it. But if you send a few I won't hold it against you.
              Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

I bought a FXWG flame glide new in 81. Kept it for 13 years. The cylinders were painted silver,cases were wrinkle black, outer primary and timing cone were gloss black. polished rocker boxes, black pushrod tubes.white plug wires with red caps. This was the best looking Harley ever (IMHO).
                Attached Files

Comment

I bought a '79 Low Rider just before the '80 Wide Glides came out and have always wanted one. The Low Riders were the hot sellers until they came out. Ah well still have the Low Rider but it looks a lot like a Wide Glide now.....
                  Louie
                  FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
                  Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
                  YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

I sold my 79 low rider to get the wide glide. Mine was the 80 CI. Heres a picture of it. It is correct except for the pipes and air filter. Should have the 2 into 1 "stovepipe" exhaust and "ham can " filter. Both butt ugly. As I recall the 74 ci model was painted a silver/gray color.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X