1914 Hedstrom magneto timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1914 Hedstrom magneto timing

I'm putting the magneto back on my 1914 Model F twin. The idler gears are clearly stamped with numbers just as the manual shows. But unfortunately the markings on the pinions themselves are less certain.

The magneto pinion has several dots on it and one nice straight line that I could easily believe is the right spot.

The drive gear has no straight line but it does have several dots stamped around here and there, but nothing stands out as the clearly intended mark.

Can someone tell me where the orientation, for timing, of the gears should be with respect to the keyways?

Thanks,
    Rich

Rich, what mag do you have on your bike ?
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

It's a Dixie Model H.

I thought I had narrowed in on it pretty close by positioning the plugs near the tappets and then recording it all on video while a friend pedals it for me. You can see pretty clearly in slow motion or frame by frame. (Just like they did in 1914, eh?)

It sure looks like I'm within a tooth or two of being right, but it just acts like the timing is way off.

I wasn't smart enough to take pictures of the gears themselves, but I can when I get back home to it in a couple of weeks.

Rich
      Last edited by rwar; 12-24-2012, 01:25 AM. Reason: Add the rest of the saga.

Comment

Now I see I clearly didn't read your initial question well enough. I was thinking of timing the mag itself! (Duh!) I have gear positioning info for a '16 Powerplus. I would imagine but don't know for sure if they are the same.
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

There is one more gear involved on the Powerplus, but I don't know if the the drive gear and the mag gear would be the same or not.

Thanks,
          Rich

Comment

Rich,

It sounds like we have a couple weeks to get this figured.... I'll consult a feller or two on Hedstrom technology!!
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

Here are some pictures to help clarify what I'm asking about. The retainer hardware is removed to show the key positions.

The drive pinion has a strong dot that coincides nicely with the keyway, but that's not conclusive because there are other markings as well, including a stacked double dot. I have seen a similar part on eBay (but listed as being for a single) which had dots on two adjacent teeth (only) so it seemed quite clear how it should be lined up. But that spot did not line up with the keyway.

The mag pinion has a couple of dots and one fairly believable line.

Can someone tell me where the timing marks should be, with respect to their keyways?

And also, does the front plug wire on the magneto go to the front cylinder? I've played with various placement of the timing gears and observed the spark relative to the tappet activity and it seems as if I can only get it to look reasonable by crossing front wire to back cylinder. But it still doesn't run right so I am obviously out of whack somewhere!

Thanks in advance,
              Rich
              Attached Files

Comment

I am going to Johnny Eagles tomorrow, I well ask him and try to git a photo - with alittle luck.

Comment

Right on Tom!!! You may have saved the day. I just got finished scouring my early literature and while there's plenty of info regarding other things I can't get an exact read on the Hedstrom gears. I do have a pretty good understanding now of the gear positioning on a Reading Standard though!!!

Rich, as far as the wires go... the No. 1 terminal should go to the cylinder that fires first. That's usually the rear one. So I think you are routing the wires correctly. Maybe Tom can double check with Johnny on that too???
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

I think the dots should be lined up on the gears and not the numbers. I don't remember seeing numbers on my gears. Tom #381

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Wilcock View Post
                      I think the dots should be lined up on the gears and not the numbers. I don't remember seeing numbers on my gears. Tom #381
                      I was wondering when you were going to show up.... The only problem I see is he's got extra dots to work with. It looks like somebody did a little experimenting along the way! If it were me I think I would keep lining them up (recording as I went) and surely the magic would happen! Although Rich may want to wait for that potential photo....
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

Ironically, the numbers on the idlers are the part I was most sure about. The rider's manual specifically shows them and illustrates their use. I'll post a scan of it later today.

I'm still hoping someone can take pity and show me the orientation relative to the keyways

Thanks,
                        Rich

Comment

Rich: I was mistaken. My Indian timing chest does have numbers on the gears. My Waverley one does not. The case is almost identical to the Indian one. I assume that you timed the 3 gears inside the crankcase. Tom

Comment

On a Dixie or Bosch, the front wire goes to the front cylinder, rear wire to the rear.

I wouldn't even look at the timing marks anywhere except the Pinion gear and cam gear. Those marks are critical. Then set the timing, fully advanced, so the points open for the appropriate cylinder when the piston is 7/16" before top dead center. CHECK THE TIMING ON BOTH CYLINDERS!!!!!!!!!! Fine adjustments can be made by carefully dressing the leading edge of the points cam if it fires a bit too late. Take your time and measure accurately. When it is set properly, use paint or fingernail polish to paint marks on the gear train for your future reference. There are too many marks already, so don't stamp any more!

Gene

Comment

Well.. it looks like Gene has provided the best advice thus far. After repeatedly studying your photos Rich, I still feel your pain. Somebody really got carried away with a hammer and punch!!!
                              Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                              X