BMW /5 Scrambler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW /5 Scrambler

Max BMW is advertising a new conversion kit to make your /5 into a enduro style bike. Of course there is not a bit of information on their website, but I did a little research into what it would take to build one.

BMW /5 Scrambler
    1964 FLH
    1972 R75/5
    1996 XL1200C
    2001 R1200C
    2007 FXSTB
    Blog: Riding Vintage
    Check out Riding Vintage on Facebook

That exhaust is $3700.00 in the Max catalog. Google Herbert Schek ISDT to see some of the bikes prior to the GS style

Comment

Price must have gone up, now it's listed at $3837.30. That's pretty steep considering you still have to modify the tank. I like this one a lot better. It's on an R100. No idea who makes it though...

BMWr100.jpg
      1964 FLH
      1972 R75/5
      1996 XL1200C
      2001 R1200C
      2007 FXSTB
      Blog: Riding Vintage
      Check out Riding Vintage on Facebook

Comment

I just finished a replica of the 73 BMW 6 days bikes built by Herbert Schek. My high pipe exhaust was made from 2 sets of stock headpipes and a $20 used dirt bike muffler
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Bruce Williams; 12-06-2012, 07:57 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

Checking out this REALLY old thread. I bought the remains of an R75/5 a few years back. I've been building it up from scrap, old parts and making parts as I go along. I thought it would fit in the thread as I'm building it up to be a scrambler.

The way it arrived,......

72BMW2.jpg

After a goodly amount of work, it now resembles a motorcycle. The exhaust system is made from bits of stainless tube sourced at the local scrap yard.

Frankie2.jpg

As you can see, I still have a ways to go. Maybe this summer,.....

Comment

Looks like a great project Pokie. Everyone loves to see progress reports, and pictures.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

I finished this last year, made the pipes and saddlebag brackets, been camping in the mtns a couple times. It is a bit loud bit I'm looking for a set of small mufflers for it.
              Attached Files
              Louie
              FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
              Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
              YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Yeah, finding mufflers small to suit is a problem. Just for giggles you might try the old "Snuff-or-Not" just to get the level down a bit. Do you remember Snuff-or-Nots? Simply a washer welded to a knob in the end of the exhaust pipe that you can twist for straight or twist for "Snuff". They had a diameter that was just a bit smaller than the ID of the pipe with about an 8mm hole in them to do the "Snuffing". They do help but still nothing like the original muffler.

Comment

It's got some 12" slide in baffles so it's too obnoxious, just not your average BMW. Pics on the way to the Horizons Unlimited riders meeting in NC, at the GA Guide Stones.......
                  Attached Files
                  Louie
                  FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
                  Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
                  YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Looks good! I would have thought you would get better cooling if you mounted your leg shields behind the cylinder heads rather than in front of them.

Comment

Working...
                    X