oil slinger case threads.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil slinger case threads.

have a 1969 Flatside shovel with wiped out threads on the sprocket shaft side case. didn't notice the cleaned out threads when i bought the motor.i have no seal or shaft spacer. is there a seal fix that will fit without threads for this. the threads are gone clean out like they were machined out, but i can bearly see where there were threads at one time. Help.

'69 engines did not have threads, they were a transition engine and use a different set-up. The shield washer is unique to them and they did not use a seal 24643-69.
    Robbie
    Last edited by Rubone; 11-23-2012, 01:38 PM.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

thats a relief to hear. if it uses no seal , how do i keep the oil from coming out past the bearing? i was going to run this motor with a open belt setup. i see a pack of spacers of different thicknesses from JIM'S for this motor.
      Last edited by Torch; 11-23-2012, 01:48 PM.

Comment

thats a relief to hear. what do i use if i run a open belt drive. won't the oil pour out without a seal? I see JIM'S has a spacer kit with 8 spacers of different widths with a seal.

Comment

I knew for certain 68 uses the threaded bearing retainer/seal holder. And 70 & up has the drive in seal and the bearing is held in with the sprocket nut, but 69??? So I went to the HD parts book and 69 is omitted. Only confirms using the 65 shaft and the later bearings. No mention of #24643-69 even in the numerical index. Is that a sort of mechanical seal?

Kerry
          Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

The shield washer is not a seal, merely a crude oil deflector and outer cover for the bearing. H-D believed that since they were returning the primary oil a little oil and mist getting through was no big deal. A '69 engine is the worst choice for an open primary. A press in retainer could be fabricated to sit in the pocket and hold a seal on the sprocket spacer but would have to go in after the bearing is assembled to the crank. The retainer would also have to be a tight enough press to seal on its OD. The part number is from a '71 parts book which lists all three types of assembly, '55-'68, '69 only, '70 up.
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Rub. I thought I knew all the motor parts on all the Shovels but that one got past me.

Kerry
              Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

Originally posted by Rub View Post
                The shield washer is not a seal, merely a crude oil deflector and outer cover for the bearing. H-D believed that since they were returning the primary oil a little oil and mist getting through was no big deal. A '69 engine is the worst choice for an open primary. A press in retainer could be fabricated to sit in the pocket and hold a seal on the sprocket spacer but would have to go in after the bearing is assembled to the crank. The retainer would also have to be a tight enough press to seal on its OD. The part number is from a '71 parts book which lists all three types of assembly, '55-'68, '69 only, '70 up.
                Thankyou Rub,
                That was a brilliant and very informative response. Thanks Again

Comment

The '69 shovelhead engine uses a seal(part#24031-69) that looks like the '70-'99 seal(#12026bB) only is a different size!

Comment

Working...
                  X