Sportster Spark Plug Wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sportster Spark Plug Wires

Here I am, on the home stretch of finally shrink-wrapping my nearly-completed '64 CH motor when I take the newly-purchased Blue-Streak spark plug wires out of the box. I did not look very closely at them after receiving them from Tedd about a year ago. At that time I did note that they are very well-made silicon-neporene wires with very nicely moded ends. They have a copper conductor and the simply-molded 90 degree bend at the spark plug end makes these wires look close enough to 1964 to suit my needs. All is well - so far.

Now I go to install them yesterday and they are a mile too long! The box is clearly marked for an early (magneto) Sportster, but the length is way off. If I want to use these wires, I now have to cut them and install new magneto plug ends, thus breaking the vert nicely molded ends on the mag side.

I don't fault Ted with this, as Blue Streak is a large, reputable company and V-Twin does well by carrying their products. They have the right to expect that the product that they receive from such a Company is of the highest quality (which it certainly is) and of proper fitment (which is is not). But what the F$*& !! These are not cheap wires and one would think that something as simple as the correct linear mesurement for sparkplug wires that were the same length from 1958 through 1969 would be a very simple thing to check, and which would have yielded less material cost to the manufacturer and a lot less disappointment to the customer. Do you all sense the many years of frustration in my voice?

Teddy - I'm certainly not a V-Twin basher. You're a professional friend and I love and respect you. But if you're reading this, I hope that you pass this aggrivation onto Blue Streak - this is simply dumb...

Bill Pedalino
    Last edited by billpedalino; 11-15-2012, 04:47 PM.
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

hey bill if you buy repop thats what you get.sick of your play by play on a junk iron head.get a real bike. mybe you can get on the amca wine list.

Comment

My first and last response to diesel55;

I try not to boast, but in response to your aggarant comment, I happen to own two panheads, a knucklehead, a shovelhead, three Sportsters and a Twin Cam Road King. I can assure you that the Sportsters are every bit as real as the others.

The repop that I have used on all my bikes is almost neglegible and in most cases used temporarily until I can procure OEM.

I'm also sorry that you are apparently being forced to read and respond to my Sportster comments. Also sorry that you are forced to enter this Sportster forum and endure the theads written on 'unreal' bikes.

I will not further respond to your comments, as this forum need not become personal and I don't want to be sucked further down this childish path. Let's keep it informative and civil - not personal. Nobody has a Glock to your head - If you don't like what I have to say, then don't read or respond to it.
      Last edited by billpedalino; 11-16-2012, 07:01 AM.
      Bill Pedalino
      Huntington, New York
      AMCA 6755

Comment

Originally posted by diesel55 View Post
        hey bill if you buy repop thats what you get.sick of your play by play on a junk iron head.get a real bike. mybe you can get on the amca wine list.
        I'm sick of adults who can't spell or type. Now I'm pissed I just found out 2 out of the 5 bikes I own aren't real. Thanks alot!
        1959 XLCH

Comment

Bill I use Blue Streak wires as well and they are difficult to work with. You have to carefully remove the ends, cut to fit and re install. Also take some brake clean on a rag to wipe the Blue Streak logos off the wires. You may have to tapper the ends slightly to fit in the mag cap.
          Last edited by murph; 11-16-2012, 04:37 PM.
          1959 XLCH

Comment

Murph,
            That's what I did. And PJ-1 takes the Logo off as welll. I do have some bulk spark plug wire and a box of assorted terminals and boots. I was just belly-aching about having to cut perfectly-sealed, expensive wires for no good reason.
            Bill Pedalino
            Huntington, New York
            AMCA 6755

Comment

The AMCA has a wine list? New World or French?

I have a '67 Sportster as well, but I don't whine about it at all, I quite like it!
              Regards

Tim

'36 four. '44 Chief & sidecar. '28 Scout. '67 XLCH. '70 BSA. and a Guzzi...............

Comment

Working...
              X