wheel lacing fixture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheel lacing fixture

Looking for a quality wheel lacing fixture. Friend of mine bought one off eBay, but it was a hop-sing POS. Didn't work worth a damn.

Anyone have a link or recommendation to a good one. Hopefully not made by people who use their feet in lieu of a bench vice.

I want to learn to lace wheels and don't want to skimp on a fixture.

Thanks and cheers,

Sirhr

what is a wheel lacing fixture? i use my picnic table. just place the hub over the umbrella stand hole. this worked for keeping the hub from moving.
    rob ronky #10507
    www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

There are several good wheel truing stands out there, but Harbor Freight doesn't sell them. And factory H-D stands show up regularly on eBay. But a very basic fixture is merely an axle in a large bench vise with a an indicator mounted nearby. Wheels can be trued in place in the fork as well.
      As far as lacing goes, it all depends on the hub configuration, but a box that will support the rim and allow the hub to hang will work for anything.The offset and such are done in the truing fixture!
      Robbie
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Pardon my lack of vocabulary... a truing fixture. I can make something and have a ton of indicators. But am looking for something I don't have to spend time building.

I'll look for a factory HD fixture per Rub. Thanks for the tip.

My friend bought one of these:
        http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORCYCLE-W...80490538840%26

He was totally disappointed with it.

I can copy the lacing pattern. It's the truing that I would like to do using a fixture.

Thanks and cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

This one comes up all the time on Fleese-Bay and seems to be very well built for the money. Bob L 160896308015
          AMCA #3149
          http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=160896308015
            Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

I bought one of these a few years back. It is adequate for 16 and 18 inch Harley wheels. A little on the wobbly side but worked well nontheless.
              Originally posted by Robert Luland View Post
              This one comes up all the time on Fleese-Bay and seems to be very well built for the money. Bob L 160896308015

Comment

I'm quite suspicious of the hub's off-set, and "the kid" who is "pretty good at it". Many an Indian has a rear wheel that is not centered in the frame, partially due to the frame, but also due to the hub's left/right position relative to the rim. Since I really like to know what's under the hood on my bikes I often spend more time than I should on tooling, but I might do just that again on lacing the wheels.

I'm considering a 1/2" steel plate x 24" square, with a 3/4" (or bigger) threaded rod about 18" long set perpendicular to the plate in the center. Add a few threaded tapers for above and below the hub. Then I need 3 pieces of 1/2" threaded rod to support the rim, with a clamping hoobijoo to set the radius and "elevation", and perpendicularity to the hub's truing axle. .. It seems to me that
                one could lace it up this way, and be pretty close, but I'd still true it in the frame, or fork.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Mast View Post
                  with a clamping hoobijoo to set the radius and "elevation".
                  Phil, if you ever get a picture of that hoobijoo I, for one, would love to see you post it!
                  Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

This is my hoobijoo, and it has always worked excellent. Bought it inIMG_5174.jpgIMG_5170.jpgIMG_5171.jpgIMG_5172.jpgIMG_5173.jpg Maine on e-bay about 13 years ago.

Comment

I bought one called a Black Widow from eBay. It is kind of a POS... but for what I paid for it, I guess that's what I should expect.

That said, after making myself custom cones, removing/replacing the support arms, lapping in some threaded 5/8" supports, shimming the base and, otherwise, totally re-engineering the thing, I am happy with it. It cost about $100 and change... so for that, I can't complain because I could not have built the 'core' of it for that. But woe-betide the person who does not have a complete machine shop and an ability to totally reemanufacture it.

Fits with my personal view that I should never buy anything 'precision' made by people who use their toes in lieu of a bench vice.

durkadurka.jpg

But it is working well now.

Cheers,

Sirhr

PS Marsh... THAT's a truing stand. Lovely piece of kit.
                      Last edited by sirhrmechanic; 03-02-2013, 07:01 PM.

Comment

I do my wheels in frame due to rim discrepancies,but I start with these.
                        IMG_0119 lace rim.jpgIMG_0125 Lace rim.jpg

Comment

I like your lacing stand. Simple & effective!

Comment

this is my original Harley truning stand. Did not use it much up to now as I got it recently.

I guess I have to make some conical clamps in case I want to true a wheel without internals is this setum is made for wheels with an axle.....

DSCF5672.jpgDSCF5671.jpgDSCF5670.jpg

Comment

Working...
                            X