advancement weight springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advancement weight springs

I have a 76 shovelhead. Built the bike myself runs great and starts great kick only, but I have one problem I keep breaking advancement weight springs tried every new brand and NOS. went to electronic ignition and fried 2 so I went back to points. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

I have a '77 shovelhead, owned since 1987. Never had a problem with broken advance weight springs, but have worn out plenty of weights and pivot pins.
    Along about 1993, I installed the Dyna-S ignition--- however it retains the original advance weights and springs.
    You might want to check that the pivot pin holes in the weights are not egged out of shape, and replace them if they are.
    That's all I can think of...

Comment

As was stated, the weak point of that system is the weights, which will 'egg' out if not lubed. The springs were relatively problem free, and seldom twisted up into a ball.
      VPH-D

Comment

Originally posted by VPH-D View Post
        As was stated, the weak point of that system is the weights, which will 'egg' out if not lubed. The springs were relatively problem free, and seldom twisted up into a ball.
        VPH-D
        I shouldn't trust my memory, but,..
        I think I just peened the holes and reamed them on one of my '65s,..
        For what that's worth.

....Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I have changed the hole assembly, weights, backing plate,springs, all of it a few times. Even tried heavier springs but then it would not advance. I could deal if this was not a weekly or monthly experience.

Comment

Check carefully to make sure nothing comes in contact with the springs when assembled and running. If a screw or such from the points plate lightly touches the springs it will destroy them in short order. A washer under the studs will usually take care of it, but it does happen.
            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rub View Post
              Check carefully to make sure nothing comes in contact with the springs when assembled and running. If a screw or such from the points plate lightly touches the springs it will destroy them in short order. A washer under the studs will usually take care of it, but it does happen.
              What Rub says is on the money. I have never broken a spring in any of my big twins or 7200 rpm Sportsters. I have seen many broken weight springs and it's all most allways from rubbing on the back of the ignition plate or a screw tip protuding. Sometimes a cam may be shimmed out a little extra or a warped ignition plate causes the problem. Other than worn out weight pivots there is no other reason for the problem.
              You can shim the ign. plate out by scribing two circles in some shim stock and cutting with quality sissors or sharp snips.
              Kerry
              Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

Working...
              X