Sportster Gas Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sportster Gas Tank

I have five Sportster gas tanks that I've accumulated over the years. Hopefully, one of these tanks will be used on my 1964 XLCH. The problem is, I don't know which of them are real OEM tanks, which are GMA, Paugho, etc. They all look identical with details that seem to indicate OEM quality. One hopeful indicator is that two of the tanks do not have the vent tube that was used for the 1966 and later Tollitson carburator. If memory serves correctly, the aftermarket tanks all had the vent tube, as it would enable the tank to be used on earlier and later bikes.

Is there any detail or other sure-fire way to determine which of these tanks are OEM?
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

The big one is it should have the two bung tank. There should be a plug in the other bung on the opposite side on the rear of the tank. If you have one that's great because there getting hard to come by. Here is a shot.

1959 XLCH

Comment

IIRC, the correct tank for a 64 has a drain plug in addition to the bung for the fuel filter thing used prior to a petcock on the early CH. I don't remember if the aftermarket tanks had the drain plug or not. I'd compare welds and overall weight to try to find an original among the fakes.
      VPH-D

Comment

Well, the pictures are a great help - disappointing, but a wonderful source for moving ahead - And thanks once again for sharing.

Yes, I now remember the drain plug at the left rear bottom of the tank - Yet another part that I gave away in 1968 that I will now have to scour the earth to replace!

I gave away the original fender and replaced it with one to those (then) cheap english ribbed rear venders. I gave away the complete swing arm assembly with the correct shocks and installed a bolt-on hard tail. I gave away the tach and speedometer (with cables - still haven't found an outer tach cable), the seat, handlebars (complete), exhaust system etc, etc, etc. And please bare in mind, this was a complete untouched XLCH when I bought it. EVERYTING was perfect, except that the motor was flogged.

I was young, dumb, immature and had a neat Sportster chopper. Now, with a few outstanding exceptions, I have purchased back all of the 'worthless' stuff that I haphazardly gave away so many years ago.

How many of us on this forum have the same sad story to lament over....
        Last edited by billpedalino; 10-21-2012, 05:04 PM.
        Bill Pedalino
        Huntington, New York
        AMCA 6755

Comment

How many of us on this forum have the same sad story to lament over....

ALL OF US!!!
          1959 XLCH

Comment

I found the NOS Speedometer coble and housing for my 1965 by Goggling the part number.
            Be sure to visit;
            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Sounds like its worth a try Chris.
              Bill Pedalino
              Huntington, New York
              AMCA 6755

Comment

have top motor mount if you still need. maybe tackcable need part number.

Comment

Working...
                X