Xlch rear fender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xlch rear fender

I have a couple of rear fenders that I'm considering for use on my '64 XLCH. However, I believe that they are from a later year, possibly 1971 or 1972. The correct fender is P/N 59611-59. The fenders that I dug up from my stock do have the correct tail lamp cutout but even with that, I'm not certain that they right for 1964.

My questions is; Where there any changes in the rear fenders from the 1959 part number until the fender light cutout changed, I believe around 1973? If so, what were these changes and how can I tell if I have the right fender, even though the tail lamp cut-out is correct?

Thanks...
    Last edited by billpedalino; 10-19-2012, 04:06 PM.
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Bill, One thing. The battery box dent. I think this started 66 on Sportster and 65 on big twin. I cheat! I pop that puppy in the English wheel and five minutes later. No dent! No Bondo needed! Bob L
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Bob - So aside from the battery box dent, thee are no other differences up to 1973?
      Bill Pedalino
      Huntington, New York
      AMCA 6755

Comment

As far as I know, that was the only change. Anything deeper is a Robbie type question. Bob L
        AMCA #3149

Comment

The wire loom clips should travel all the way down to the bottom on the inside of the rear fender, that's where the wire comes out. No holes in the fender for wire loom to come through. As above no coil indent. Also have heard the cut on the fender under the tail light was slightly different but I could never get a good argument other wise.

Inside shot of the rear fender showing the clips and loom.

Last edited by murph; 10-20-2012, 09:05 AM.
          1959 XLCH

Comment

The -67A replacement fender also has a slotted hole for mounting the low seat, and was listed as fitting 59 up CH & 67 up H. This fender was used thru the early 73 models, that is, those produced in late 72. The late 73 models had the larger plastic tail lamp & turn signals.
            VPH-D

Comment

Murph, what years had the loom coming all the way down and when did it stop? Thanks, Bob L
              AMCA #3149

Comment

Not exactly sure on that, I would guess and say mid to late 60's. I can only speak up to 65 ch from what I have seen. My 69 ch has the coil indent and the hole at the fender strut for the wires. The clips stop at that hole. Maybe someone else can chime in on that one, my guess is after 65.
                1959 XLCH

Comment

Working...
                X