XLCH Spokes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XLCH Spokes

I am ordering spokes for my '64XLCH. This bike uses the early aluminum rim in which the center portion is fairly flat and has significantly less of a 'drop' than the later aluminum and steel rims. My parts book shows spoke no. 43031-36 for the 18" rear wheel. The 19" front wheel spokes are listed as 43025-64 (long) and 43024-64 (Short). My question is whether or not these early aluminum rims are considered Drop-Center or Conventional, as this affects the spoke lengths that I must order.
    Thanks..
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Bill,
    If your rim is a 19" you need the factory part number spokes for a 19". Don't get caught up in the dropcenter thing with a vendor. That is a Borrani rim (43010-64 if I recall) and is considered drop center in the terminology of the day (shallow depression in the middle. The '70 and later rims are a DEEP drop center, a whole different deal. You need the same spokes a steel front rim would take. There are only two sizes, the sets for 18", and the sets for 19". And those spoke numbers are correct!
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Robbie.
      Yes, you are correct. The front rim is the -64 part number tha the rear rim is the -60 part number, both Boranni. I had a feeling when I ordered conventional set that they were the wrong spokes! And trying to figure it out by looking at the earlier knuckle and panhead parts books and making references and comparisons did nothing but confuse an already confused mind! I used to know this stuff - very frustrating!
      Bill Pedalino
      Huntington, New York
      AMCA 6755

Comment

Working...
      X