Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wierd electrical problem

42WLA 6 volt system.
    I've been having an ongoing problem with keeping the battery charged, charging system checks OK. It appears that the battery is somehow shorting inside the batt box, although the terminals are well clear of it. With the NEGATIVE terminal completely disconnected, I still show 3.4 volts from the positive terminal to the frame. I've removed the battery a couple times and washed it, no results.
    The battery is from V-Twin, made in India.
    Anyone else had this problem?
    Any suggestions appreciated.
    Rich
    Rich Inmate #7084

Are you saying the positive terminal is hooked up or just by setting the battery in the battery box with the positive side not hooked up your getting a reading. We had that problem with a KHK and we had to set the polarity in the generator
    Last edited by Sidehacker; 09-18-2012, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sidehacker View Post
      Are you saying the positive terminal is hooked up or just by setting the battery in the battery box with the positive side not hooked up your getting a reading. We had that problem with a KHK and we had to set the polarity in the generator
      Pos terminal is hooked up, Neg terminal is not hooked up to ANYTHING!
      Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

If you're using a digital voltmeter, it may be so sensitive that it's miseading you. Even touching the conductors with your hands can give you a voltage reading. Use an analog voltmeter, and if you still have a reading, it's leaking through the case or across the felt to ground.

Does the battery go dead while sitting? It may just be junk.

Comment

Remove/disconnect the battery and see if you get a reading between the positive terminal and the bottom of the case.

Comment

Used both digital and analog volt meters, different readings but close enough. With the battery on the bench, I can move the meter probe along the plastic (rubber?) case of the battery and get as much as 1/4 volt between the + terminal and the case.
            I've had electrical problems since this battery was new, but since it was "new" I kept looking elsewhere. The generator has been on the bench at least 10 times, replaced much of the bike's wiring, on the 3rd cut-out relay now. Always had a problem with the + terminal sulfating (if that's the correct word) but not the green stuff usually seen on battery terminals-this stuff is gray, sometimes black, and lots of it in actual chunks that form and fall off on the floor. Maybe as much as a tablespoon full in a couple weeks just sitting.
            Surprisingly, it holds a charge for a week or so IF the terminals are disconnected, then drops off to 4.5 volts or so and stays there.
            Thanks for your responses, time for a new battery.
            Last edited by frichie68; 09-20-2012, 06:14 PM.
            Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Those are junk batteries.the other v-twin battery is good but you have to modify the battery box lid.IMG_1298.jpgThe HD batteries are also having problems.

Comment

I'm not recommending it, but if you don't want to modify the battery box or lid, you can pull the vent elbow out and epoxy the hole you pulled it out of and either use the older type cell caps with the vent hole in them or drill a hole in the caps that came with the battery.

Comment

Working...
                X