69 XLH Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 69 XLH Problem

I'm having a perplexing [to me !]problem with my wife's 69 XLH. The machine will start & run for about 30 seconds, then die out. After it dies out, sometimes it will have no spark at the plugs, sometimes it has no spark at the points. I"ve replaced the condenser and ignition coil with new parts, and can't figure this one out. HELP!
    VPH-D

Battery connections are good clean and wire connections are tight?
    1959 XLCH

Comment

Check the ignition switch as well. Back in the day I was advised by factory techs while a service manager for dealerships that the # 1 killer Sportster ignition systems are people hanging stuff on keychains as the weight on the ignition switch causes the switch to go bad. Keep in mind what ever was hung off the key loop flapped around in the wind causing the switch to go bad.

Comment

Yes, new sealed battery was installed just prior to Sturgis, which is when this problem showed up. Went and picked up the bike in a truck, brought back to camp , installed new #4 plugs, and the thing started right up. When this problem occurs, it has no spark, but will still crank like crazy.

I'm aware of the factory warning on having too much crap hanging off your key ring, especially on the -75 style of switch, which this one has. I'll check the switch closer.

This machine has been together since 83, and has always been pretty reliable. This is our only button start bike, and the wife is not happy.
        Thanks for the input, guys
        VPH-D

Comment

Hot wire it and see if it continues to run. If it does it is a wiring issue. If it does not it is elsewhere!
          Robbie
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Just a shot in the dark but, did you happen to change the wiring system from a fuse to circut breaker? if so maybe the breaker is bad or getting a short from somewhere and shutting off......maybe just an idea. had a 73 shovel that use to do this to me...

Comment

Working...
            X