CB 450 Bomber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CB 450 Bomber

Hi all, I'm tring to get the spark plugs out to put some kroil in the cylinders to free up a stuck engine. It's been sitting since 1977. I kroiled the plugs at the heads for a week now but the plugs won't budge. I was hoping not to take off the heads. Any ideas? I'm hoping not to have to heat them but that might have to be done. Steel plugs in aluminum + 35 years = Tight! Thank's for any help. Brian #815.
    Last edited by rigb; 08-27-2012, 06:36 PM.

The problem is that the aluminum welds its self to the steel plugs. What may happen is that the aluminum thread will rip out of the head and stay on the removed plug. I think your going to need some heat. As soon as you feel the slightest movement, hit it with kroil again and gently work the plug back and forth. keep repeating. Don't force the plug out!
    Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Comment

I would break the porcelain off and use a hand held impact wrench. I would give it a light tap as to tighten it to break it then try to work it out. If you then get it to move at all, I would stop and let the Kroil sit for a couple of weeks. Bob L
      AMCA #3149
      http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

You could try Reducteur if its available in the states. I've found that regular applications a few rimes a day for a week or so has done the trick for me in the past. It works when you have the reaction of two different metals together. As you say this sounds like the problem you have. I would try a little local heat on the aluminium before application it may just open up an entry point so your Reducteur or Kroil can get in.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, I'll will patiently peck away at it. I have other projects in line first, I'll let you know how I make out. It may be awhile.

Comment

Working...
          X