1946 Chief Shifter Linkage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1946 Chief Shifter Linkage

When I advance the timing, the distributor rotates counterclockwise and rubs the number 2 boot into the shifter linkage. I have a left hand shifter. What happens if I move the rod to the upper hole on the left hand side? This would probably give enough clearance for the distributor to rotate without hitting or rubbing the shift rod.
    Attached Files

I have a 48 Chief. The bellcrank on my transmission only has a single hole, not 2 like yours. Give it a try in the upper position, see if it works.

Dave

Comment

rmmccon,

If using the top hole on the shift tower lever works for you that's fine. From looking at the posted picture, it appears the plug wire boot is touching the shift rod at about half the advance slot. It looks like at full advance the distributor with be 30 to 45 degrees to the motor. If that is so and you want the distributor aligned fore and aft as it should be, you will need to pull the distributor from the pump and the pump from the gear case cover, and rotate the distributor drive one tooth on the cam gear.

Comment

rmmccom, I have a shift rod that I had made to commensate for this. Will sell to you. Email me at: Lonewolf_51@cox.net. Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Lonewolf_51 View Post
          rmmccom, I have a shift rod that I had made to commensate for this. Mark
          Do you have a picture?

Comment

rmmccon, here are some pictures of the shift rod I had made. the first picture has a measurement of 19 3/8", this is from outside to outside for total length. Fourth picture is measures 19 5/16".
            Last edited by Lonewolf_51; 09-03-2012, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Agree with JackK,sounds like you are off one tooth.You can leave dist in pump when installing so you can see that position is right -dist lateral at full advance.
              and frankly the custom rod will be even more wobbly than the original.
              Tom

Comment

Working...
              X