Edison Splitdorf RM Magneto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edison Splitdorf RM Magneto

Can't get spark for 1948 Indian Chief Bonneville 74ci.! Coil and condenser tested and produces spark. Set timing and placed magneto gear into place and tigtened nut(key in place). Have new rotor, cap is good, and placed small spring into brass seat inside cap. New spark plug wires. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Lonewolf,
    Having any results with that mag? I've been wrestling with mine on a '36 scout. Have spark it just is very difficult to start. I found last night that the wire from the coil to the condencer was worn through and may have been shorting on the advance mechanism. I also made a new condencer to fit the original position. We'll see if that helps.
    Morry

Comment

Morry, yes! I discovered that my RM's coil probe is shorter than normal, and sits inside the magneto housing 1/4". Should be flush with housing, or sit out 1/8". The standard spring that seats down inside the cap wasn't touching the coil probe when placing the cap to the housing of the mag. I made a spring from a brass rod I found at a hobby store. Have spark now, but not on every kick to both plugs at the same time. The front will spark only on three kicks, then the back will spark for one or two kicks, then both will spark on one kick, and on and on. I can't figure out why both won't spark at the same time on every kick.
      Last edited by Lonewolf_51; 08-29-2012, 08:59 PM.

Comment

You may be good to go. You should get spark on one plug at a time, the mag is not a wasted spark system as you have a distributor rotor and cap. The intermittent spark based on the number of kicks you are talking about has to do with the rotation speed as you kick the engine through and the position of the engine when the kick is started. Make sure your kicker gear on the trans is the correct 28 tooth, kick ratio is different for mag and battery ignition. The mag needs some rotation speed to generate primary voltage to function.
        All that being said and done my Scout is still hard starting, but runs great once started. I'm still in search of the answer. I have a friend looking for a rewound coil at Davenport.

Comment

I do have the 28 tooth gear, and the right kicker for the Bonneville. If you don't have success at Davenport, IA, you may want to try Rudy Calin at RebuiltMags. His number is 651-233-6655, or Rudy@rebuiltmags.com. He help me figure out what was wrong with mine, and was very familuar with the Edison Splitdorf RM.
          Last edited by Lonewolf_51; 08-31-2012, 10:04 AM.

Comment

The 28 tooth does need some additional oomph to kick ,but the thing to remember is not to bring up on compression ,just kick from where motor stops when shut off.

Comment

Yes, I can only kick for a few minutes, then must stop and rest. I joke that I can't afford to lose any weight because I'd never get the darn thing started! Might need a hip replacement in a few years if I don't change over to electic starter!

Comment

Old habits die hard, I'll have to try from some different positions. Seems like a person could come up with some kind of spark booster for starting like they use in aircraft sized down for a motorcycle. Know any electrical engineer's? Magnetos are such a simple devise and such a mystery. These mags do make an excellent exercise program, and help enrich your vocabulary too!
                Morry

Comment

Morry, yes, it is good to go! Got it to start on first kick after prime. Let it warm up; shut off for a few minutes, and then it started right back up. Took for a ride and it rode great. The old Bonneville is back in service. The chapter of I can't get spark is over. Don't know any electical engineers, but do give Rudy a try.
                  Last edited by Lonewolf_51; 09-02-2012, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Lonewolf,
                    Glad to hear your rolling, that is the point of it all!! My friend came up empty handed for a coil at Davenport. I'll be giving Rudy a call in the morning. Thanks, Morry

Comment

I came across this post.
                      I know this is a old post. Any chance you guys are around to share how you fixed the problem? I am in the same place looking for help.
                      Fred Leach
                      Cape Cod Ma.
                      1946 Indian Chief
                      1947 Indian Chief Roadmaster Bonni
                      2014 Indian #450 Chieftain
                      2013 Vic Vision

Comment

I don't know, FastFred,...

But I have an RM recently refurbished available,

RM 2.jpg

Anyone can post me direct at liberty@npoint.net,

Thanks!

....Cotten
                        AMCA #776
                        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
                        X