Correct Rims for 1925 Indian chief?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct Rims for 1925 Indian chief?

Hi- I am restoring a 1925 Indian Chief. Can anyone tell me the correct type and size front rear wheel rims? Tire size also. I seem to think 1925 was a change point for wheel size. Any reccomendations on where to buy correct rims and tires? Also I am interested in making contact with any other early Indian Chief owners. I am located in Northern California.
    Many thanks,
    Steven Lawrence

Alamo, CA

You are correct Steven, 1925 was the first year for balloon tires on the Big Chief, (26 x 3 rim, 27 x 3.85 tire). Coker has the tires, and possibly the rims. I don't know if McRoberts rims are still available.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Steven,
      I have a 1925 unrestored Chief. When I got it the original 20" clincher rims were rusted through badly from sitting on a dirt floor for 60 years. I upgraded to reproduction 19" drop center rims (available from several sources, take a 19" x 4" tire) for safety concerns. Clincher rim / tires are not safe for highway use. I know an AMCA member who was nearly killed a few years ago when the front clincher tire rolled off the rim on his mid 20s Harley during a ride. Clincher rims and tires (20 x 3.85" are correct for 1925) are available but seriously consider upgrading to drop centers. Here is a recent pic of my 1925 with the new wheels (Buchanans Spoke and Rim ss spokes, Coker tires), also attached a pic of the bike 1 year ago. I am missing the exhaust, headlight, gas and oil caps and ammeter, probably some more small bits. The engine is all there and has been apart for around 60+ years.
      Mike Carver
      Attached Files
      Mike Carver
      AMCA #3349

Comment

Clincher tires are safe, providing you keep a careful eye on your tire pressure.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Mike that Chief is coming along looking good. I know folks who ride clinchers hard and have had no troubles. But I know plenty who have had troubles and crashes. I had two blows out's on my back tire on my Henderson, that was enough for me. I have drop centers on all now and don't worry about it anymore. Don't know why I had troubles, but I did all the stuff the old timers in our chapther told me to do and still had troubles. I know a guy going on this Cannonball on a JD he has had for decades. He is running clinchers and he has had many blow outs/ flats and close calls. Talk to the most experienced guys you can about how to run em, good luck.

Comment

Thank you all for the replies. The bike probably will not be ridden much so I think I will try to find clinchers. I still have a few questions though. What are balloon tire? Just fat, soft tires? Also I don't get the sizing. Do I look for tires that are 20 - 3.85 or 27-3.85? Are clincher tires measured on the OD of tire as mounted?
            Thanks,
            Steve
            Last edited by lotus15racer; 07-08-2012, 12:36 PM.

Comment

I'm sorry for the confusion. The tires are sized as 385 x 20. Go to the Coker tire website and the motorcycle tire section. I had a set on my 1920 Excelsior, but those were all-white tires. Coker only sells the 385 x 20 in blackwall tires now.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

White Coker 3.85 x 20

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                I'm sorry for the confusion. The tires are sized as 385 x 20. Go to the Coker tire website and the motorcycle tire section. I had a set on my 1920 Excelsior, but those were all-white tires. Coker only sells the 385 x 20 in blackwall tires now.
                I have the same tires on the 20 Ex I am doing now. I have been told that they come off, have you been riding on the white tires and have they stayed on? are you using an oversize tube? I sure would hate to lose a front tire and fly over the bars.
                Thanks!

Comment

Monty, I've not run the all-whites for any extended time. Those I've talked to have said they are functional but should be regarded as display tires. I've put some easy miles on my 1919 with all-whites and noticed they wear quickly. As for safety, I pealed a rear tire on a 1920 J (black tire) but that was my fault as I didn't maintain the tire pressure. . . . And I took a corner to hard. I have no factual basis for this observation but, the all black tires seem to have stiffer sidewalls.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks to all for the information. I am going to try clinchers for the originality factor. For riding I will use drop center rims. Al Mc Roberts has clincher rims.
                    Steve

Comment

Working...
                    X