Incorrect Kicker Arm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incorrect Kicker Arm?

I am bench-fitting the exhaust pipes and kicker arm to my '64 CH motor and noted interference between the kicker arm and rear exhaust pipe. The kicker arm does not slide all the way onto the kicker shaft until the arm's bolt hole lines up with the broached bolt cut-out on the shaft - the Arm hits the rear exhaust pipe first and there is about 1/2" of free-shaft distance between the return spring and the arm when the arm hits the pipe.

I don't remember any factory-installed dents in the exhaust pipe for these early years, but I may be wrong. The kicker shaft is exactly the same as the dozen or so that I chose from when assembling the motor. The pipe is installed exactly concentric to the exhaust flange and the heads and cylinders are factory made and correct for 1964. So the existing geometry should be correct.

I'm thinking that I may have the wrong kicker arm, as I recall it being the straighter of the early 2-piece arms used on the K and XL. But this is from memory and it seems that my memory has become questionable at times.

I've had trouble attaching jpg photos before and I don't have a 12-year around, but I'll give it a go. IF the pics do attach you wil see one of the kicker arm and another of the installed interference. I would appreciate any and all input.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by billpedalino; 07-01-2012, 03:27 PM.
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

That kicker is for a big twin 54-67.

Comment

Thank You! Looks like the SPortster had more of a bend at the bottom.
      Bill Pedalino
      Huntington, New York
      AMCA 6755

Comment

If you have your exhaust pipe clamp mounted incorrectly the kicker will hit the muffler.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Bill
          I have a 64 XLCH that is very original but the motor is out and the top end is off. But I do have the original header pipes and kicker. My rear pipe has what looks like a oem dent pressed into it to move it in closer to the sprocket cover. I can not fit it on my motor but could give you measurements or e mail photos. You could pm me if you want to.
          Thanks Jim D
          Jim D

Comment

Jim,
            I'm tied up with work this week, but I will try to take some pics of the exhaust pipe and post them within the next couple of days. My front and rear exhaust pipes both have factory-installed dents on the inside (left side) surfaces for frame/sprocket cover clearance.
            Bill Pedalino
            Huntington, New York
            AMCA 6755

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pedalino View Post
              Thank You! Looks like the SPortster had more of a bend at the bottom.
              Yeah the first turn is opposite of what ya got.

Comment

Working...
              X