Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help identifying these tank badges

badges.jpg

Well I've done it now! I found these tank badges on Ebay and made a buy, taking a chance that they were correct. The listing had a lousy description and lousy photo but I figured if I "broadcast" my questions about them and the seller posted more of a description on the listing then the price would shoot to the moon if more people thought they were correct. Anyway, what I've got are two very nice tank badges, except they aren't chrome... they're bronze (or maybe brass). They look like they were made with a nice attention to craftsmanship and even show some slight feather details... this makes me wonder if they're somehow original to a particular model or version of Indian... maybe the 841? Anyone have any clues? Anyone seen these before? Thanks!
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]8737[/ATTACH]
    Anyone have any clues? Anyone seen these before? Thanks!
    84 views so far and no opinions, anyone?

Comment

Obviously those emblems were cast. The originals are stampings in brass. I have one beat up original and I've looked at the obverse side for a makers name but don't see anything. Whoever made those did a nice job, and you'll never know they're a reproduction after they're mounted on a bike.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

They are cast, but the 'lip' almost looks soldered on. Interesting find... could they be something that had an Indian logo but was not motorcycle related?

And I can't imagine that there were not everything from refrigerators to machine tools made with the Indian name or product. I don't know enough about Indian to know if that is one of their logo fonts or not.

But neat pair and who cares if they are authentic. They are something old and neat. Great find!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Original badges pictured!

Last edited by Rubone; 07-03-2012, 12:12 PM.
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks fellas! Eric and Pierce, it's pretty much confirmed to me on the Caimag site that these bronze badges are re-pops from maybe the 80's... rats. I was thinking/hoping they might possibly be ultra rare originals made during the war due to a shortage of chromium, but no such luck. They're still nice, however, and I may mount them up in place of the chrome re-pops I've got now while I wait and look for the real deal.

Robbie, thanks again and I hope the wildfires aren't close to you.

Comment

Working...
            X