Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First year big Chief

Hi Indian lovers,

A friend here in the UK has just imported a early big Chief, 95% complete looks like a stalled project.

To get under way he needs pistons plus 20 thou, (the crank is a later Z metal with H beam rods), valves, guides, transmission intermediate shaft in the primary.

also a myriad of the smaller parts that seem to go missing as a project passes from seller to seller

All help appreciated

thanks
    Regards

Tim

'36 four. '44 Chief & sidecar. '28 Scout. '67 XLCH. '70 BSA. and a Guzzi...............

Tim, this is a picture of my 1924 Big Chief. It also had Z metal flywheels, and it ran readily available alloy Chief pistons. A friend of mine had this bike before me and he collected most of the parts. He used late Chief gears and shafts in the trans, and standard Chief top end parts. It's only when you get to the distinctly Big Chief parts that you have problems, such as the helical gear drive. I really miss that '24 and regret selling it more than any motorcycle I've owned.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

G,day ,Tim ,pistons i used JP pistons in South Australia ,some years ago now ,i know they have change ownership have a look on the web, valves and guides any engineering shop should be able to help if you have existing ones as a pattern i had to supply a Holden cam shaft for the guides the metal was ideal for this purpose ps these guides screw in do not try to knock them out,your in the UK so pinch the Queens Roll Royce and get the cam shaft out of it [ha ha ] the intermediate shaft also an engineering shop,you can use modern needle roller bearing here on either side with thrust washers. Hey are you Pommie Tim thats been over here a few times now? Rob in Queanbeyan

Comment

Rob, you're right about the valve guides. I forgot they screw in and have a hex machined on the outside. I made the guides for my Chief but I don't recall what material I used. Again, for the valves, I used regular Indian Chief valves that I got from Kiwi Indian.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Eric do you have any progress photos,when i did my 22 i used the modern clutch plates also [king clutch]. They went straight in .I just put some photos of my 22 and others ,look under YOUR PHOTOS section,good luck Rob

Comment

Working...
          X